Author Topic: The Le Rhone 9C  (Read 58685 times)

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
Re: The Le Rhone 9C
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »
Interesting Colin, but those inlet and exhaust cams are something else, never seen cams like that before, there is obviously an excellent reason why the designer arrived at those profiles but just how escapes me at the minute, other than to accommodate the firing order and the fact the engine rotates!

Chris

Offline pieterb

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2021, 07:06:19 PM »
this shows everything clear I think

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-GuQ7OMSc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-GuQ7OMSc</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
Oh my, what an incredible movie!  That must have taken quite a while to make.  I was going to ask about why the cams had 5 sets of lobes, but the movie showed how the cam set turns at a different speed from the crank due to the gear reduction. And the motion on the con rod inner ends is mind boggling....

An amazing build! 

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Chris

Online Twizseven

« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
As you say Chris an amazing piece of animation.  I cannot begin to think how long that would have taken to research and then produce.

Colin

Offline mikemill

« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2021, 09:37:44 AM »
That is a remarkable video and an excellent way to visualize how the engine is built and works. A nine-cylinder rotary engine is probably the most challenging project a M. E. can undertake, and brings back fond memories of the Bentley BR2 I built many years ago, and the amazement when the engine first fired up with castor oil flying around.
I will follow this build with great interest.

Mike

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2021, 03:49:00 PM »
Somebody spent significant time on that animation. I have done a bit of animation in the past, but nothing to compare with that. Magnificent animation and incredible engine design.----Brian

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2021, 06:27:42 PM »
Between Craig's video of his engine and the one shared by Pieter, I think I finally get how this contraption works.  Thanks both! :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2021, 09:20:15 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.   Lots of folks commenting, THANKS, especially to Peter who shared that excellent assembly video of the LeRhône 9C.  :ThumbsUp: 

Welcome to the latest update from the LeCrâig aero-engine factory :Lol: where we are in the process of making THOUSANDS of cylinder jugs.  (Ok- just nine, but when you’re standing at the lathe it Seems like thousands). :embarassed:

And… Mike, I hold you personally responsible for the “nine cylinder” requirement thing.  You, being the “round engine” expert here, you should have warned me there were NINE CYLINDERS. >:D
You can get into a nice rhythm with nine of everything.
Ooooops  looks like you did, sorrrrrrry. O:-)

Three cylinders done, six to go (though I’m well into number 4).  I’m hoping to finish them around the end of November.  Below are a few photos of the growing family.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:23:18 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2021, 09:54:49 PM »
They look amazing - just like the crankcase  :praise2:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2021, 10:04:09 PM »
Very stately looking family there, Craig!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Just wondering - If I were doing this, I think I'd do more of an assembly line thing and bring all nine (or at least the remaining 8 ) along at the same time - do one step on all of them, then do the next step, etc.  Looks like you're doing all the operations for one cylinder to completion, then starting over for the next one.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:30:36 AM by Kim »

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2021, 10:28:03 PM »
And… Mike, I hold you personally responsible for the “nine cylinder” requirement thing.  You, being the “round engine” expert here, you should have warned me there were NINE CYLINDERS. >:D
You can get into a nice rhythm with nine of everything.
Ooooops  looks like you did, sorrrrrrry. O:-)

Ye Ye, thats right, blame me  :Lol: :Lol:

But I havn't told you yet about the valves and rocker gear; suddenly there are eighteen of everything to make :ROFL: :ROFL:

Better do as Kim sugests and set up a production line, one operation on each part at a time, rather than making each part individually.

I do like the look of your growing family :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Mike

Just to remind you............Real engines are round
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2021, 11:18:03 PM »
More 'wow'. I need another box of 'wow's for this build...

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2021, 11:46:31 PM »
Craig-

Beautiful work on the cylinders.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2021, 12:46:48 AM »
suddenly there are eighteen of everything to make :ROFL: :ROFL:
:facepalm:

Kim & Mike

I thought about cutting the remaining pieces from stock, them doing all the machining needed for one setup for all cylinders before moving on but....

That would be SO MONOTONOUS and the whole idea of this hobby (or any hobby) is to have fun, so I'm performing all the steps to complete each cylinder before moving on to the next to break the monotony up.... some.

the real pain in the a$$ is the boring operation.  I drill out to 3/4 inch, then bore to about 10 to 15 thousandths under one inch and finish with a one inch ream I happen to have.  The boring seems to take forever.  Where the turning removed nice little curls of material, all I get with the boring is powder.  I've tried different speeds (70 up to 270 RPM) and different feeds .001 inch per revolution to up to about .005 inch per revolution and still all I get is powder and at most a diameter increase of about .020 inch per pass.  I've even tried new inserts on the boring bar.

I would hate to have to bore eight if these things, one after the other.  I'd be boring for weeks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 12:52:16 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »
Craig---You are doing fantastic work. Most of my engines are 1" bore, and I drill them out to 7/8", then bore out to 1" diameter. I used to use a 1" reamer, but found that if the drilled hole is the least bit off, the reamer just follows the drilled hole. Boring trues up the hole and keeps both ends concentric to the o.d.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal