Author Topic: Gas jets  (Read 879 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
Gas jets
« on: September 04, 2021, 07:03:49 AM »
After a couple of years hiatus on the Columbine steam launch, because of my frustration with not being able to raise enough steam to drive the engine with the propeller attached, I have motivated myself to have another go.
So where are we at? Well with a number 10 Jet in the burner i am getting about 75 to 80 % "redness' on the ceramic tile. So thinking I need a bigger jet but unable to source one I opened up my No. 10 with my smallest drill I have which is 0.6mm. however that is Waaaay to big as I had burning gas everywhere.
It was around 5 years ago that I made the boiler and a very kind member of this forum in England went to great lengths to procure for me a No. 10 jet. I was and still am very grateful to him. I have searched my correspondence to find his name without success. (I feel very bad about this)
I would like to obtain another No. 10 and also a no. 12 and maybe a No. 14.
HELP NEEDED.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Gas jets
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
Hi Robert.

Whilst experimenting with various gas jets for my CHUK range of Vacuum engines I discovered Clevedon Steam.

The gentleman, who’s name escapes me, I spoke to on the phone was able to supply 3 different sizes. The company is definitely displaying a number 12 jet with a hole diameter of 0.3 mm in their online catalogue.

https://clevedonsteam.co.uk/products.html#No%2012%20Gas%20Jet

Cheers Graham.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
  for gas jets, you may look for "nozzle for 3d printer" , very similar, huge choice... starting usually from 0.2mm dia.
but the thread is different M4.
to enlarge a trifle such a tiny hole in a brass jet, I suggest to use watchmaker's broaches from Bergeon, the finished hole is slightly coned, and polished inside.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 09:22:52 AM »
Clevedon Steam......Jerry Watson.....................clevedon.steam@uwclub.net ............. Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »
Thank you, both Zephyrin and Derek.

When time permits I’ll look into those. The prices of the Sievert burners are very high these days a cheap alternative for hot tube ignition would be great.

Cheers Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal