Author Topic: Hoglet revisited- carburettor mount  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet revisited- carburettor mount
« on: August 30, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
Hello
I finished and successfully ran my Hoglet a few years ago before putting it on the shelf. I had alway intended to revist to try to improve things. Top of the list is the carburettor mount which being aluminium conducts the heat from the cylinders direct into the carb. I suspected that this lead to   carburration issues. 
I recall some other builders had said they had used an insulating material instead of aluminium to avoid heating the carb.
Can anybody tell me what material was being used, I cant find anything using search facility.
Thank you for your help.
Trevorc 

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Hoglet revisited- carburettor mount
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:54:43 PM »
Garolite G-10/FR4 is a good option for carb insulation. An epoxy/fiberglass composite, it is fairly hard, machines fairly well, and insulates pretty well. I've seen commercially available automotive carb isolators made from it. I've used it to make hydrogen fuel cell stack endplates, with drilled and tapped fitting ports, and have cut threads into G10 rod on a lathe to make tie bolts.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »
Ron - as an epoxy/fiberglass composite - isn't it very abrasive on the tools ?

As most modern PCBs are made from FR4 - I know that only Carbide tools @ high revs (usually small drill sizes) last - HSS drill bits are dull after a few minutes ....

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 09:25:18 PM »
I made carb/manifold spacers for my v-twin from Corian. It works fine.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »
Ron - as an epoxy/fiberglass composite - isn't it very abrasive on the tools ?
That's probably true enough, but in a one- or a few-off environment it wasn't a problem at all. I was using HSS drills, taps, and end mills, when I worked with it, and I don't remember seeing excessive wear.
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal