Author Topic: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
DoAll Bandsaw for Brian
« on: August 29, 2021, 07:19:45 PM »
Friday I drove to Toronto and bought a DoAll bandsaw and a new VFD to drive it from a used machinery dealer. It fit nicely into my F150 pickup truck, and with many tie down straps it rode happily 100 km. from Toronto to my house in Barrie. It is HUGE compared to my old bandsaw, and the tricky part was getting it offloaded from my truck. I had a really bad experience with machinery movers when I bought my lathe five years ago. I had unloaded it from my truck and called the movers. Two giant men came, moved my lathe in about fifteen minutes, and charged me $500. NOT going to do that ever again. So---Today I spent an hour welding up a machine specific device to attach to the end of my engine hoist and unloaded it by myself. Everything went fine, I didn't get hurt, I didn't damage anything on the machine, and it's in my garage. It's 90 degrees outside, and my digital camera fogged up instantly when I took it outside to take pictures. I don't know a lot about this machine yet, but the place I bought it from did turn it on and show me that it did work on three phase. I will post more about it as I learn more about it myself.---Brian

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 07:26:25 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 08:58:25 PM »
Blade welder and all!
Nice addition.

Dave

Online GordonL

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 09:11:38 PM »
If the saw is set up for 3 phase the welder may not work on single phase. The welder cannot work through the VFD. My DoAll saw has a single phase motor running on 120 V and the welder is 440 V. The welder is not a DoAll welder but was a later replacement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 09:19:10 PM »
I hadn't planned on using the blade welders anyways. First question---The new saw has wheels 1.010" wide x 16" diameter, and the blade on it was 1/2" wide. Can I safely run 3/4" wide blades on it. I don't cut curves, and the 3/4" wide blades are what I have always ran on my smaller converted wood cutting bandsaw.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
My wife took some pictures with her phone camera. Bloody thing works better than my digital camera!!

Offline john mills

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »
what size blades you use will depend on what blade guides you have .the 1/2" blades were what the welder suited.
before cnc machines lots of tools were cut out on the band saw mainly tool steel  k245 so spent days at a time cutting  you learn how to weld new blades we made lots of them .they had the 1/2"blade that was all we used
we cut out up to 32 mm thick .
John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 11:51:18 PM »
After scrambling around unloading the machine from my pickup truck, I finally got wound down enough to look for the model number. It is a model 1612-U with 16" wheels. Although many places like ebay are trying to sell manuals for these machines, I found a manual for this machine put out by the USA army that seems to be free. My new VFD is being shipped to me on Monday or Tuesday, and I have to figure out how to wire it up and get the machine running. There definitely is a connection between the blade guides and the width of blade that can be used. I need to buy a new blade, but have to research this more ---I don't want to buy a bi-metal blade that won't run on this machine because it is too wide.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 11:54:36 PM »
Nice. Good acquisition. The joy of having a welder (and knowing how to use it) - so many fixtures can be whipped up quickly.

And yes, my iphone has far surpassed my point and shoot cameras now. Only my professional, probably obsolete Nikon 35mm digital camera is better, and I'm not in the habit of hauling that around for point and shoots.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Muzzer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
Did you see Steve Summers' vids about his DoAll bandsaw? Yours is a smaller model but there appear to be many similarities, so perhaps they might give you some inspiration.
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_c4G1lQlpQ&t=1306s[/youtube1]

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 10:10:04 PM »
After almost a full days work, the bandsaw is in its home position. Far more work there than simply unloading it from my truck. It's amazing what one old man with a lot of rope, a garden tractor, and a rockbar stolen from the Faraday uranium mines 50 years ago can accomplish. In the pictures you will see some of the remaining garage sale stuff that has yet to go. My wife has told me that I can have one bay of the garage for my equipment, but By God she wants a full bay left for her Honda in the wintertime.----Yes Dear!!!---. This saw has a really nice guide or fence on the tabletop. I'm sure that will come in very handy. My VFD came today, and after a very quick look I decided that it was out of my league, so I called a friend who is an electrical guy and he is going to come over and wire it for me.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 02:57:06 AM »
Thats a nice looking saw Brian!  I like that fence!!!   Hadn't seen one quite like that one, but it's clever!!!.....Leave it to Do-All

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »
This is a rather crummy picture of a segment of 3/4" blade from my small bandsaw held in place in the guides of the DoALL saw. It fits between the angled guides and the back of it is up against the bearing. If I ran a blade this width with no other changes, all I can see happening is that the blade will not run exactly centered on the 16" band wheels. If I take the DoAll blade guide assembly apart, there might even be room to move the bearing farther back x 1/8", so the blade can run centered on the 16" band wheels.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »
Having a closer look at this blade guide, the angled fingers are stamped 1/2". Notice however, that the ball bearing is setting about 3/16" proud of the cast housing. The bearing on my saw is seized up, so I have to remove and possibly replace it. It will be interesting to see if that bearing can be moved farther into the cast housing.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 09:53:10 PM »
A little more information--With the saw guides removed, I have a better look at the bearing. The blade doesn't ride against the face of the bearing. It rides against the face of a mushroom headed hardened steel stub shaft which fits into the bearing.  No snap rings are visible, but it looks to me like that thing on the back side is just a cap that should be removeable? The bearing is not seized up after all. It rotates freely.  I may just put it all back together and put it back on the saw. I have come to a decision about the saw blade. I am going to go with a 1/2" wide blade. I will get a bi-metal  blade with 5-8 staggered tooth pattern. I want to see the saw run successfully before I try something like a different blade size. Who knows? Maybe the 1/2" blade will do everything I want it to.

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
The 1/2" blade should work fine for most purposes. At the same time a 3/4" blade should work without difficulty since the wheels are a bit wider than 1". If the wheels have any crown then the blade will tend to stay centered regardless of size. The blade centerline mismatch is only 1/8" in any case.

The 1/2" guides would probably work fine for 3/4" blades since you said you do not cut curves. They would not provide good support if you do attempt curves. You could always add a shim behind the guides to bring them out a bit more if you decide to try 3/4" blades.

A wide blade is useful for the typical cut-off type saw in order to keep the cut from wandering. You will probably be hand feeding the DoAll so the blade stability is less important.

Gene

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal