Author Topic: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian  (Read 6005 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2021, 07:47:23 PM »
A nice new tool!   :pinkelephant:   That works well!   :whoohoo:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 09:06:00 PM »
I have really big hands and fingers. The VFD for my bandsaw has a whole bunch of programing buttons on it that I never want to touch, as well as the on and off buttons, a dial to select saw speed, and a read out. Today I made a shield that covers up all of the buttons that are not on/off switches, and has a window in it for me to see the read out display, and left me access to the dial. Saw is working good, and I don't ever want to accidently press a button that changes anything in the programming.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 09:47:56 PM »
Brian you need not worry about changing parameter you have to go though quiet a few steps before they are changed. The saw looks great have you check the calibration and set all of your guides and thrust bearings? I suggested you get the book I mention. You will not regret it because it covers everything about bandsaws Down to proper blade selection for any situation you run across. It even offers jigs for different applications. It’s a treasure you will like.

Regards Don

Offline john mills

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »
there should be a guard covering the blade from the guide up and you should set the top guide as close to the
top surface of the material to be cut  most of the blade teeth facing you facing you should be covered.
john

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2021, 11:21:45 PM »
Thanks Don, I will probably do that. John--I am aware of the guard you are talking about, it was pointed out to me by the people I bought the saw from. I will probably make that guard and add it to the machine. I am aware of correct setting height for the blade guide--I had it set to clear one leg of the 4" angle that I made for the VFD panel.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:20 AM »
Very impressive looking saw. I used one exactly like that in the Physics Building shop at the U of I back in the day. Those are terrific saws, you won't have any trouble with it as long as you have set the running clearances of the blade and it runs centered on the wheels. I am envious... :P

BC1
JIM 

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2021, 04:14:00 AM »
Brian,
I am glad to see that you are now able to do the happy dance with your "new" saw.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2021, 11:07:49 PM »
Today was spent rearranging things in the garage and cleaning and rerouting air lines. I am going to sell my small metal cutting bandsaw and an enormous old power hacksaw that I made about 50 years ago when I was doing a lot of wrought iron railing, and my dewatering manifold for my air compressor. My machinists equipment has spilled over into my main garage to the point that I am taking flak from "She who parks her car in the garage". I'm tired tonight, but the garage is a lot cleaner and more organized.---Brian

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2021, 05:21:01 AM »
Yeah, I've done that recently :)

It does feel good to get it cleaned up, doesn't it?!
Kim

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2021, 07:28:19 PM »
Yayyyyyy!!!--I sold my old wood-cutting bandsaw which I added a shaft and pulleys to so it would cut metal for $200, and last night I sold my 50 year old power hacksaw for $100. This frees up considerable room in my main garage (On the side where I used to park my hot-rod), and leaves lots of room on my wife's side of the garage to park her Honda. I have just had two weeks of not making anything, and I'm enjoying the break. I'm still doing a bit of machine design for an old customer, and right now that seems to be enough to fill up my time.---Brian

Offline ptross

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2021, 06:54:27 PM »
New member and have just now seen this post. congratulations on a great new saw.
there are manuals available for download at the OWWM site, and a wealth of information there.
Do-All have their own alignment procedure, as the blade needs to be aligned with the guide post (which is not adjustable) first, and not just between the two wheels. One manual I looked at gives instructions for this on page 7.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/256/18271.pdf

these are great saws, I hope you enjoy yours for many years to come!

Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal