Author Topic: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: DoAll Bandsaw for Brian
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 07:50:50 PM »
Brian you can run the VFD WITHOUT THE MOTOR CONNECTED TO IT TO VERIFY IT PUT A METER ON THE TERMINALS OR GET THE DISPLAY TO SHOW VOTAGE.

regards Don

I am assuming that your electricain has set all perimeters in the drive to match your motor!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:13:12 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2021, 08:33:45 PM »
To help with blade selection....... Also you my be interested in the Bandsaw Book from Amazon a treasure to have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565238419/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2021, 11:16:23 PM »
Don--Thank you for taking an interest and for helping. Today was another "no run" day, which left both me and the electrical controls guy scratching our heads. It gets involved. I bought the used saw and a new vfd from a used machinery dealer in Toronto, Ontario. The vfd he sells is from a company in Oakville, Ontario, Their tech help guy is in Quebec. I am in Barrie, Ontario, my electrical friend is from Wasaga Beach, Ontario.---Kinda like a long distance romance---

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 04:56:29 AM »
Your more then welcome Brian only glad to be of assistant. I worked as a Marine Electricain/ Electronic Tech for over 55 years. I installed many VFDS and repaired them.

Regards Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
Today my electrical wizard showed up, but this time he brought with him the three phase motor from his bandsaw. He hooked it up to my VFD, and it worked like a charm. This lead to farther examination of the motor on my bandsaw, and we discovered that it was absolutely "seized up"!!---This is really weird, because the saw ran at the place I bought it from, and it ran for about 15 seconds when we first hooked it up to the VFD at my place. I called the used machinery place in Toronto and told him what was happening, and asked if he had another 1 hp 1750 rpm 3-phase motor, and that if he did I would bring my motor down to Toronto and exchange it. He hummed and hawed a little and said that he wasn't sure, but he would look this afternoon and call me back. In the meantime, I'm going to try to find out what is involved in changing the bearings in the motor that came with the saw.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2021, 08:06:13 PM »
I just checked with my local bearing supply house, and they have the bearings for my motor in stock for $12.75 each. I've watched a couple of Youtube videos on changing motor bearings, and it looks pretty darn simple. I will wait and see if the company I bought the used bandsaw from is going to replace the motor ---if they do I will drive to Toronto and exchange it. If they don't I will change the bearings on my current seized motor.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2021, 10:51:22 PM »
This is turning into a very strange voyage. The motor was seized--I could not turn the pulley by hand. I just separated the three main segments of the motor, and the bearings are fine!! There are no score nor gouge marks on the stator nor on the windings. Everything in the motor is filthy dirty, like you would expect to see on an old used motor. I will blow all the dirt out with compressed air, then inspect and reassemble, watching for the motor shaft to start binding again.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2021, 11:12:39 PM »
Check the dirt you clean out for remnants of a squished shop gnome....

Sounds like some grit got in just the wrong place and jammed it up. Or, could the pulley on the end of the shaft have shifted and bound against the housing? I had that happen on my mill last month, the pulley had shifted down a fraction and rubbed on the headstock, stopping it.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 01:09:03 AM »
Chris could be right motors seize up from bearings and end bell housing having wear from the bearing rotating inside it. You have no wear marks in the stator core or the rotor and good bearings so it has to be a outside object causing the lockup.

Regards Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 01:19:22 AM »
Curiosity killed the cat.---I had to tear that motor down to it's four main components and see what in heck was going on. As I expected, it was very filthy inside full of dirt that's been collecting since 1960 when that model was built.---but---I seen nothing inside that motor that would explain why it was seized. I washed away all the dirt, blew everything dry, then greased the bearings and reassembled it. Now the shaft turns with no effort at all. I checked the stator and the field windings for damage, but there was none. I was going to wire the motor up and try it now, but I simply ran out of gas and had to quit for the day.---That happens when you're seventy five. Ah well, I'll give it hell tomorrow!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2021, 06:26:54 PM »
And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2021, 06:35:41 PM »
Let there be chips! And shorter bar stock!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »
More than once in my live have I fixed something merely by the "laying on of hands". Amen and pass the plate. :LittleDevil:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »
Awesome…. :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »
Yeahhhhh---I just cut my first piece of metal with my new bandsaw!!! Picked up a new blade at lunchtime, rushed home and installed it, and immediately grabbed a piece of mild steel and cut it. It works like a charm. I am so impressed.---Now I can sell my smaller, converted wood bandsaw that I added a jackshaft and a couple more pulleys to to slow the blade down for cutting metal for $200. It works really well, but you can't lean on the feed to heavily or the belt drive slips a little bit. :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal