Author Topic: Large containers for pickle solution  (Read 2453 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Large containers for pickle solution
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon. For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will disolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 08:24:12 PM »
Like Chris said, the citric acid concentration is not critical. I have no idea what mine is, though it is certainly less than saturated.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:54 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon.
Hmm.... I think there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon - or did you mean 12.5g per level tablespoon?  That kinda makes more sense.

For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will dissolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

Like Chris said, the citric acid concentration is not critical. I have no idea what mine is, though it is certainly less than saturated.

OK, sounds like it's not super critical, so I'll just go with something and give it a go.  I can always add more if I want to :)

Thanks Chris and Ron!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 11:10:48 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon.
Hmm.... I think there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon - or did you mean 12.5g per level tablespoon?  That kinda makes more sense.

For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will dissolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

OK, sounds like it's not super critical, so I'll just go with something and give it a go.  I can always add more if I want to :)

Thanks Chris and Ron!
Kim
Kim - yes, my brain transposed teaspoon for tablespoon!   :zap:   I had looked up the amount for both, and blew it when typing in the results. Sort of like mixing up baking soda and baking powder - results can look right but work (and taste) terribly!!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 11:15:01 PM »
Kim - yes, my brain transposed teaspoon for tablespoon!   :zap:   I had looked up the amount for both, and blew it when typing in the results. Sort of like mixing up baking soda and baking powder - results can look right but work (and taste) terribly!!
:Jester:

Been there, done that!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal