Author Topic: Large containers for pickle solution  (Read 2463 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Large containers for pickle solution
« on: August 27, 2021, 12:08:29 AM »
I've been using a large glass pan for my pickle solution (Sparex 2 based).  It's worked well over the years - I leave the lid on it when not in use and if the level gets low I add more water to it and stir it up.  It's been just fine.

And yes, I use the same pickle for brass and for steel.  I know that's bad because now I get that thin layer of copper on my brass parts.  But it hasn't really bothered me that much.  It's super thin and will buff off easily.

To my point (and I do have one  ;D):  I'm going to be soldering a larger boiler soon (OK, well, not that soon, but maybe within the next year or so? :embarrassed:).  And it will be far too big for my current glass pan.  I'm considering using a large Sterilite or Rubbermaid type container, like this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQ6GWQQ/ref=sbl_dpx_B07PQ6GWQQ_0)

Will this work for a pickle solution?  Can you store it safely, long term, in a plastic container? My google research isn't very conclusive, but it seems like it should be OK.  Any input or experience from anyone here on this topic?

Thanks!
Kim

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Large containers for pickle solution
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 12:16:35 AM »
How about a 20 litre [ex] beer fermenter ...... black plastic [10 inch diameter screw on lid]........same plastic [polypropylene] that the concentrated hydrochloric acid is stored in...[just 40 times larger than Bakers Soldering Flux black plastic bottle]

Just don't get it mixed up with any actual beer brews  :DrinkPint:

Derek
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:22:37 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:30:14 AM »
You can get add on lid assemblies for two and five gallon plastic buckets, they sell them for storing ingredients for brewing and general use. I've been using that for Sparex for years, works great. For a long boiler it might still require soaking one end at a time. The metal handle bail makes it easy to move, and the screw on lid with gasket seals great.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 05:31:40 AM »
Interesting suggestions!  Thanks Derek and Chris :)

I'm kinda hoping to find something I can use where I won't have to one end at a time.  I did that with the tender tank and it was a pain (and messy - every time I changed ends I sloshed pickle on the garage floor.  Luckily, it WAS the garage.  But still not what I want to do. So hoping I can get something bigger where I can soak the whole boiler all at once, but where I can have just 6-8" of liquid in the bottom and another 6-8" of wall to contain my splashing about.

But it sounds like you guys have used plastic to hold your Sparex without much of an issue.  So now I just have to come up with the right container!

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:36:17 AM »
This is part of my garage cleaning effort, BTW.
I'm going through EVERYTHING - every tool bin, every drawer, every box - and weeding stuff out.

Kim

PS If anyone's interested in a Taig mini mill or lathe let me know.  This is one way I'll be freeing up some space.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »
Fishbowl?

I have seen large ones and I have seen rectangular ones (and I mean seamless glass containers, NOT acquarium tanks.)

ShopShoe

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 03:05:23 PM »
- every time I changed ends I sloshed pickle on the garage floor.  Luckily, it WAS the garage.
Is there a particular advantage in using Sparex? I make my pickle from food grade citric acid powder. Works great cleaning brass and copper after silver soldering, yet I can spill a bit or get my fingers into it without harm.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:22:51 PM »
Hi Ron,

The reason I started using Sparex is because I wanted a safe alternative to the traditional sulfuric acid pickle. I didn't want to be dealing with that.  And I didn't know about the citric acid alternative at the time.

I've had this Sparex solution for many years and it still works quite well.  That's my only data point :)

Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 07:02:53 PM »
Your amazon link states the rubbermaid containers are polypropylene, which should be pretty much bulletproof to anything water-based short of aqua regia or other very concentrated acids, or (non water based) aggressive/chlorinated organic solvents.

Sparex, from what I could find online, contains sodium bisulphate, which the following link suggests is fine in polypropylene containers...

https://www.calpaclab.com/polypropylene-chemical-compatibility-chart/

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 07:05:05 PM »
I use a plastic dustbin as my large pickling tank. Its still ok after 30 years use  :)

And it is outside as the last thing I want is any type of Acid fumes in the workshop  :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 10:46:02 PM »
Thanks Bent and Joe,

Your amazon link states the rubbermaid containers are polypropylene, which should be pretty much bulletproof to anything water-based short of aqua regia or other very concentrated acids, or (non water based) aggressive/chlorinated organic solvents.

Sparex, from what I could find online, contains sodium bisulphate, which the following link suggests is fine in polypropylene containers...

https://www.calpaclab.com/polypropylene-chemical-compatibility-chart/
That's a pretty in-depth table in that link you provided.  Great information!

Thank you for the input!
Kim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 11:01:16 PM »
I use a plastic dustbin as my large pickling tank. Its still ok after 30 years use  :)

And it is outside as the last thing I want is any type of Acid fumes in the workshop  :hellno:

Jo

Hi Jo
You don't have issues with freezing? I agree nothing with corrosive fumes allowed in the shop.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 07:29:57 AM »
You don't have issues with freezing?

A dustbin holds a lot of acid so its a bit like a water butt. In the UK I have never known more than a couple of cm of ice form on the top. Think of it like your car battery does that freeze solid in the winter?

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
It depends on the concentration of acid? I wasn't sure where the pickle solution falls into the mix. I had a small container of brick cleaner (10% HCL) outside for years and it never froze.
Now that is something you don't want in the shop. Where I live in the winter it is pretty common to get to the single digits F and sometimes below 0.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 06:46:46 PM »
Just so you aren't all losing sleep over this (cause I know how much you all care :)) I've decided to use one of those 14Gal Rubbermaid Roughneck tubs for my pickle.  It's large enough for the upcoming boiler and it fits under my silver soldering station.  Plus it has a nice lid that should contain the bath well.

Now, with all the talk of alternative solutions, I've done more research and decided I am going to try the Citric Acid approach.  Sounds even safer than the Sparex and it is certainly cheaper.  I got a 5 lb bag of Citric Acid for $20.  The Sparex costs about $20 per gallon, and I'm going to need several gallons of solution.

So, now my next question - for anyone with experience using citric acid as a pickle, what concentration should I use?  I found a thread on the ME site where someone recommends 50g per gallon, and someone else recommends a heaping tablespoon per gallon.  (Maybe those are the same.  I haven't measured how many grams are in a heaping tablespoon yet :))

I'm just looking for other people's experience on this too.  Can anyone share what concentration they use for pickling?

Thanks!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon. For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will disolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 08:24:12 PM »
Like Chris said, the citric acid concentration is not critical. I have no idea what mine is, though it is certainly less than saturated.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:54 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon.
Hmm.... I think there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon - or did you mean 12.5g per level tablespoon?  That kinda makes more sense.

For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will dissolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

Like Chris said, the citric acid concentration is not critical. I have no idea what mine is, though it is certainly less than saturated.

OK, sounds like it's not super critical, so I'll just go with something and give it a go.  I can always add more if I want to :)

Thanks Chris and Ron!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 11:10:48 PM »
For sugar, the common conversion is 12.5 grams per level teaspoon, so that would be closer to 20-ish for a heaping tablespoon.
Hmm.... I think there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon - or did you mean 12.5g per level tablespoon?  That kinda makes more sense.

For citric acid, the amount is not very critical. If you add more than will dissolve in, it will just leave some on the bottom, not a problem. I tried citric acid once, found it was easier to just use 5% white vinegar from the grocery store. Still pretty cheap, no mixing needed, and not toxic or nasty on the skin.

OK, sounds like it's not super critical, so I'll just go with something and give it a go.  I can always add more if I want to :)

Thanks Chris and Ron!
Kim
Kim - yes, my brain transposed teaspoon for tablespoon!   :zap:   I had looked up the amount for both, and blew it when typing in the results. Sort of like mixing up baking soda and baking powder - results can look right but work (and taste) terribly!!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 11:15:01 PM »
Kim - yes, my brain transposed teaspoon for tablespoon!   :zap:   I had looked up the amount for both, and blew it when typing in the results. Sort of like mixing up baking soda and baking powder - results can look right but work (and taste) terribly!!
:Jester:

Been there, done that!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal