Author Topic: Large Flywheels  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Large Flywheels
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
Thanks for putting me right Andrew.

Maybe best to say they don't have so much guts at lower revs an large dia work compared to belt/geared machines. But can still produce the goods if working methods are adjusted to suit.

What units would the reduced cutting force be measured in lbs.ft or the metric equivelent? If so maybe that's why I said torque as the units are similar :headscratch:

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »
Well, a force will be Pounds force or newtons, while a torque is foot pounds force or newton metres (unless you like some odd Elbonian system of units).

The units for torque are the same as for work done. Multipy be speed to get power.

On the rare occasions I use imperial units in calculations I am careful to distingush between pounds mass, lb, and pounds force, lbf. For heavy duty calculations I normally convert everything to metric first (then convert the answers back, eg to tons [force] per square inch, to get an idea what they mean).  The clearer distinction between kilogram mass and newton force is one of the things that make life easier in ISO units.

I am of age where, although aware of them, I thankfully did not have to get my head round ergs, slugs and poundals.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:45:27 AM by Charles Lamont »

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2021, 11:56:21 AM »
Good morning Jo.

Very pleased to read that the casting is sound.  :ThumbsUp:

Are you going on to the rest or putting it away for a future build log ? The engine, although with a few castings presents some quite challenging operations for the home machinist.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »

PS Missed three flywheels of the count should have been 37 :facepalm:

Not wishing to brag Jason….

But I’m now into the second hundred or so over the last 40 years.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2021, 12:22:17 PM »

Are you going on to the rest or putting it away for a future build log ? The engine, although with a few castings presents some quite challenging operations for the home machinist.

I normally do not look to start an engine before all of the castings are to hand and one of this casting set is "on holiday"  ::) . I will be back on my Bee shortly. As for when I do next it all depends on how I feel when I get to the end of a specific model and what casting sets I am allowed access to

Its bored and the piece of undersized 19.05mm bar is a tight fit - so tight that I had to put the drive dog on it to get it out again. I will leave it like this as I can always hone it out to fit which ever bar I choose to make the crankshaft out of.

Then the outside of the hub was cleaned up using a 10mm button tool:

Same tool to do the inside of the rim:

The flywheel has been turned round and while using the centre in the tailstock to centre the flywheel and hold it up tightened against the face plate ready for the final couple of cleaning up cuts:

Lunch finished off so time to complete the turning  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »
Coming along very nicely Jo....what engine is that?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »

But I’m now into the second hundred or so over the last 40 years.

Ah but you have made a lot more for reward than me ;) How does the number of flywheels machined tally with the number of engines made? I would have thought a few more flywheels than complete engines. :thinking:

I did get asked to make a Retlas but turned it down due to the flywheel diameter, could have been interesting as the owner had quite a few Gardner drawings and wanted things altered to make it look more like one of those. Though of the few I have made for people they have all been engines I would have wanted to build but unlikely to get the chance as they were all out of production and hard to find casting sets, unfortunately the Retlas was not high on my want to build list anyway so I may not have been so enthusiastic therefore probably no bad thing that it would not fit on the lathe.

Almost there Jo and interested to see the Bee progress some more.

I think the dirtiest cast iron I have machined was some flywheels from TS in germany who get them cast in the Saxony region, more like machining a 9H pencil than iron but lovely castings.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
Thanks Dave, its our Retlas - Graham showed a partial picture of one earlier. Odd looking thing with lots of nice hard to hold castings to keep me occupied  :)

The other side of the flywheel is a repeat of the first so I did not bother with any more pictures. The last stage is the fettling - which has just been abandoned due to a blister beginning to form on my left thumb  :Doh:

If you recall that large ridge on the outside which was caused by the two sides of the flywheel not being true in the pattern box well it also exists on the inside of the rim  :toilet_claw:

This is the on going filing challenge  :facepalm: Overall the flywheel looks ok,

it feels much lighter than when it started  ::) It still needs the centre broaching for the key but that will be done along with the crankshaft so everything fits together.

Once my thumb recovers I will finish off the filing and give it a coat of primer before handing it over to my casting custodian  .

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2021, 02:35:45 PM »
Don't know if you have any of those rubber "thimbles" used for counting money but they can be handy for sore fingers or thumbs, I have a woodworking tool that can cause the same issue so just slip a couple of those on if using it a lot. Alternative is to just do a bit each day while mostly working on something else.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
Hi Jo

Thanks for the post, that activity is the only time I'd consider gloves....and leather ones at that.

Do you have compressed air in your shop?   A rotary carbide burr would knock the worst of that off in a hurry....and you could clean it up with a file after...easier on the arms...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »
Coming along very nicely Jo....what engine is that?

Dave

Here you go Dave.

This is the last one I built for a customer some 20 odd years ago.

I won’t go into too much detail here but it’s “ loosely “ based upon a size 1 vertical Gardner engine. For the Gardner aficionados they should notice that I put a great deal of effort into making it more Gardnerish.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »
Has a definite small boat flavor to it!   I like it!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Has a definite small boat flavor to it!   I like it!

Dave

You’d need a long gas pipe for that Dave !  :lolb:

On a serious note Gardner also built a “ Spirit “ and an “ Oil “ version too.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
Do you have compressed air in your shop?   A rotary carbide burr would knock the worst of that off in a hurry....and you could clean it up with a file after...easier on the arms...

I do not have an air die grinder any more. I did give it a go with my dremel with one of those sanding drums. It was doing a good job I will probably use that towards the end of the fettling process.

Looking forward to getting back to finishing off the Bee  :) .

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2021, 05:15:48 PM »
Don't you need a Dia Grinder for the Alyn castings :LittleDevil:

I find the Dremel sanding drums wear quite fast, the orangeish grinding bits or carbide burrs are more effective though you have to watch out as their small diameter can soon give an uneven surface if you are not careful, at least a file covers a larger area and give sa more even surface

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal