Author Topic: Age and Realisation  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Age and Realisation
« on: August 24, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »

Hi Guys - it's some time since I posted on here but truth to tell there's not been much to post about nor the desire to do so if there was.

Age is beginning to take its toll and as I approach my eigthies a sense of reality is taking hold (well has been for a while but now it's quite firm) so this is the first step on a new journey.

Though I intend to return to the marine engine I was making I am absolutely certain I will not do anything further on the Bentley rotatry engine nor another project - a Jung nine cylinder radial engine.

I have posted details and images herehttps://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=174379&p=1#PostTop

so if anyone is interested in continuing either of these projects please take a look.

Regards from tha ol shid - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline gadabout

Re: Age and Realisation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Ramon,
Hi, certainly interested in the Bentley! Will try and PM you on the model engineer site again
Regards
Mark

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
Hello Ramon,

I am truly sorry to read your post. I fear many of us are heading in that direction and will soon have to make that kind of decision.

Like you, the enthusiasm burns a little less brightly than it once did. Too many projects and not enough time. Too many irons and not enough fires.

So relax a little, take it easy and enjoy the company of those near and dear to you. Call in here if you ever feel the need

Take care

Mike       :Love:

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
Hi Ramon

I could not have said it better than Mike just did - so I will not try.

But I do really hope that you and Sue are doing well  :Love:   :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 12:19:02 PM »
Hi Ramon,
I'm probably not far behind you, 76. I go into my shop almost every day.  I find I don't have the enthusiasm I had in the past but I still enjoy seeing a chunk of metal being transformed into some kind of creation.  How long it will last I can't say but I do enjoy the commraderie here and really get excited when I see the work of some of the younger fellows. Although the numbers are dwindling it still seems to attract a fair amount of followers.  Thank you for your great contributions and know that you will always have an ear here.
George D Britnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
I am 81 and I still go into the shop six days a week but what I now accomplish in eight hours I would have accomplished in two hours twenty years ago. I actually is more relaxing because there is no pressure to actually meet any self imposed deadline. If I feel like sitting down and having a cup of coffee or just stare at the wall it is all good.

What I am really afraid of is that that there are so few of the younger folks actually taking up the hobby. Nothing against the folks who use CNC but the younger group seems to be more interested in making the computer do the work than actually producing something through actual craftsmanship. Many of them would not be able to actually produce a precision part without the computer.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »
Tug:

I have enjoyed your build logs and learned a lot from them. I hope you have the energy to continue with some less involved builds, like your diesels. Thank you for your past efforts.

Thanks.
Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 06:00:21 PM »
Hi Tug,
Sorry to see you stepping out of the shop.  It's our loss for sure!

But you should do what interests you and what you enjoy right now.  Spend time with your family and do the things that bring you happiness.  We'd love to have you hang around here any time you want to, whether you're building anything or not.

Best wishes for all your future endeavors!
Kim

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 10:04:04 PM »
So sorry to hear your news Tug, you have done some much good work in the past that I have marvelled at and wished I had your expertise, and you can be very proud of what you have achieved. 

Quite sympathise where you at, I'm a few years behind you and find it frightening how things I could do withh ease, even just five years ago, are so much effort now.  It comes to us all I guess.  Sad that you can't complete your models, having done so much hard and good work already, esp on the Bentley.   

All best wishes for the future and whatever project you decide to do,

Chris

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »
Guys,

My sincere thanks for your kind comments, as always much appreciated but please, let me assure you, other than old age I'm not suffering from anything life threatening though that recent diagnosis of an inactive thyroid has a dilatory affect most days.

No this is a final realisation that I've had so much enjoyment out of machining since I first made something on that early ML10 that I really do feel it has run it's course - I really do not have the passion for or the desire to machine like I used to. I believe I mentioned before, a certain tiredness has crept in - and no not those thyroid induced sleepy periods but simply a weariness of it all. If you count Meccano I've been making models of some kind since I was four - even through Army and offshore days. That's a long time.

Like you George I'm 76 nearing 77. I really don't want to go into my eighties still machining so this is the first step of my 'retirement' from lathe and mill. There is the marine engine to finish but little else of any magnitude so from here on in it's a winding down process. I shall of course maintain an interest in plastic modelling - far more sedentary and enjoy my armchair far more with my collection of ship books.

So, I'm not down, I'm not out - yet - but making a move in that direction.

Regards guys - it's been a pleasure and honour to be associated with you all

Regards - Ol Tug

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »
Thank you for your candid post Tug. This is something that happens to pretty much all of us at some point as we age. I've been going through the same thing for several years and at age 75 have, finally, pretty much come to grips with the issue. It's a question of sitting back and deciding (as you've done) "what do I want to do with whatever time I have left" and separate the "I should be's" from the "I want to's". It can be sad for others to see a person going through this process, but in reality it can be quite liberating!  :)  Just like retiring from a job, a person can retire from a long time hobby and putter with things that you really feel like doing.

Best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 06:59:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Jim, much appreciated  :ThumbsUp:

I guess I've been building up to it for sometime but recently when rebuilding a commercial model engine and making a silencer the fact that I'd just had enough of machining after all these years was almost palpable - what was once an all consuming passion has now become to some degree quite a chore.

I have the one project I wish to finish - the marine engine - but after that I shall begin to shut down the workshop. As I go into those eigthies that's not something I want left to deal with nor do I want to leave my Sue the problem either.

I've had a tremendous time over the years meeting all sorts of really nice people in several differing hobbies so it's not as if I will have missed out on anything - I'm sure there will be days when it's missed but ooh! that armchair has distinct appeal.

Regards - Tug

PS The Bentley is now sold and is going to the right person and a good home  :)

The radial may be  ;)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
Ramon I do understand how you feeling I am three years behind you but I have not been doing any metal work for the pass five years. Although I have been into the brown stuff as of lately. Not that I gave up metal work but needed a change in my life. I keep my body fit and have since 48 years of age. Just had knee surgery two weeks ago but still getting out as much as possible to stay active. We all reach that age where we slow down and do things we like at a pace we like. Some times we have to break away for other reasons and I for one understand your move. I have learned a lot following your work and was inspired by your craftsmanship. Thank you for all you have contributed to the forum and your willingness to answer questions when prompt. You have inspired many on this forum and it is a loss to see you subside your continued projects. Good luck my friend and thank you for all your efforts.

Regards Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Thanks to you too Don - PM sent

Tug

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »
I've certainly learneda lot watching your builds Ramon,  I hope for you to enjoy your future activities.   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal