Author Topic: Reducing the file size of a PDF  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
Reducing the file size of a PDF
« on: August 22, 2021, 12:15:54 AM »
I have forgotten how to reduce the size of a PDF file. I am not speaking in terms of a Zip. file, I mean reducing its overall footprint in byte size. I have several plan files that I would like to are just a bit lager than what is allowed and if I can shrink them I will share.... Please don't beat this tired old body too hard and tell me what I can use to perform this.... I am using windows 10 as the OS platform///

BC1
JIM

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Reducing the file size of a PDF
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 12:32:45 AM »
Hello Jim, can't be much help here but would love to find a simple solution...
 I've ran into the same problem repeatably, mostly by limitations of my CAD system (Pro-E). If I change the fonts, it sometimes reduces the file size, but then puts detail #'s outside the detail balloons...

I posted a drawing awhile back, & our esteemed mod/admin Jo took a screen capture of it with some pretty good results (Yielding in a smaller file size with not much degradation...)

Apologies for not being more helpful. I'm looking forward to additional responses so thanks for posting this, we're coming into engine design season (After summer activities cease & we're chased indoors a little more.)

Looking forward to any goodies you post...

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 01:24:36 AM »
Been a while since I've had to do that, don't recall exactly, but one way is to open the PDF into an application like Photoshop or PaintShopPro, any image app that can open a PDF. Usually they ask what resolution you want to use to convert it to images - then you can resave it out as either seperate pages or combine back into a pdf again. Works okay as long as there are only a few pages - if a lot this way gets painful since you have to deal with each page individually.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 01:29:59 AM »
Thanks Crueby, yeah, I kinda remember that now. I was on an Apple and had access to all of that stuff. I died and now I am beginning from scratch on this donated machine.....   :toilet_claw:

BC1
Jim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:07:24 AM »
I use the application PDF24.

You can alter both the DPI and the compression ratio (Quality) and see the size of the resulting file

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 07:09:37 AM »
If it was for posting them here I use Dropbox to host them (free) and just post links to the drawing or folder.

link
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:13:24 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal