Author Topic: My (washing) machine shop.  (Read 6084 times)

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
Re: My (washing) machine shop.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 02:55:12 PM »
Sam

It looks like a well designed kitchen. You stand, or sit, there and everything is in arms reach. I am envious since I now use two stools and walk the three to four yards between them every few minutes.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline samc88

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 09:48:07 PM »
The mill has successfully been digitised! The scales were fitted using existing holes in the machine, to do this i ordered a longer than needed scale for the x axis which allowed brackets to be used to mount the scales. For the Y axis, a piece of steel bar was mounted to the mill using an M6 countersunk bolt and the scale was then mounted to that.

For the quill DRO i cut up some old callipers and a piece of angle and araldited it in place, im surprised how nicely this worked out

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 01:16:21 AM »
Nice clean installation - I like it  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline samc88

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 11:46:43 AM »
Update to my workshop, I have recently bought a new lathe to replace the 7x14 mini lathe. It is a Halifax 524 which I won on ebay for the opening bid price. Its can swing 10" diameter and is 18" between centres so is a decent upgrade. I believe it is a slightly upgraded copy of an atlas 10" lathe, there are some parts that are a bit more beefed up from the original Atlas. It came complete with a 3 jaw, self centering 4 jaw, independent 4 jaw, 9" faceplate, tools, materials, steadies and a homemade 100T indexing attachment. Very pleased with it and its a lovely thing to use. Naturally I had to have a sort out of my small shed, luckily I was right with the tap measure when it came to seeing if it would actually fit
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:51:07 AM by samc88 »

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 03:30:48 PM »
That looks like a sweet little lathe and some good tooling too, a nice find! There's no wasted space in that shop!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 10:00:13 PM »
That looks like a nice machine!  Aren't new toys fun!  ;D

Kim

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »
The new lathe does look good, a classic style of older design, nice, and has fitted into the workshop space very neatly.  The equipment with it means that you are up and running without having to search around for the necessary gear.  Are you going to bolt the lathe in position on the bench, and maybe introduce some means of tweaking the levelling when checking from time to time? Something along the lines of what Myford incorporated in the blocks and levelling screws for the Series 7 lathes. Makes it a lot easier than trying to shim under bolts. Dave

Offline samc88

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
The new lathe does look good, a classic style of older design, nice, and has fitted into the workshop space very neatly.  The equipment with it means that you are up and running without having to search around for the necessary gear.  Are you going to bolt the lathe in position on the bench, and maybe introduce some means of tweaking the levelling when checking from time to time? Something along the lines of what Myford incorporated in the blocks and levelling screws for the Series 7 lathes. Makes it a lot easier than trying to shim under bolts. Dave

Thanks Dave, it has been bolted to the bench since those photos were taken last month. At the minute its just bolted down to the bench and is level according to my starrett level but one day I may sort out some levelling screws. It isnt too much had work to slip shims under this one though, its quite manageable to move it on the bench single handed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal