Author Topic: Bailey's 1881 Bee  (Read 12358 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Bailey's 1881 Bee
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Thank you Per and Stuart,

So many parts begin with drilling and reaming some holes on the end of a longer piece of bar so you have something to hang on to:

This was particularly true of the little cross head which used the remainder of the bar to be held by as the circular end was turned:

Then it needed tapping:

Before cutting the central slot:

Before starting today's filing I turned the ends of the link:

And milled away much of what was not required in the central section:

Before doing some more hand filing:

And attaching them to the assembly:

:thinking: I cannot put off doing the crankshaft supports much longer.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
Shaping up great. Nice proportions on those linksges.

:popcorn:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
Thank you Chris  :)

Main Brackets for the crankshaft bearings: Take a piece of steel and cut three pieces, mill square and to size:

Mill the main piece and the bearing top to fit each other:

Finish the fit by hand and screw tight together:

Drill and bore both for the crankshaft bearings:

Mill the square bits:

Before getting the hacksaw out to cut off the main part that is not required and finish by rounding the corners off. Then check it fits the base:

I feel the need to focus on the negotiation for the next set of castings  :wine1: :pinkelephant:

Jo

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:42 PM »
Nice work, Jo.  :cheers: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2021, 04:44:29 PM »
Another fine family shot  :ThumbsUp:

Made me think not long before first run .... followed by - wait a second ... there are some stationary bits missing here, and I haven't got a clue how many  ::)

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2021, 09:50:51 PM »
Very elegant!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2021, 08:51:57 AM »
Thanks Guys  :)

Made me think not long before first run .... followed by - wait a second ... there are some stationary bits missing here, and I haven't got a clue how many  ::)

The pivot brackets are next, a pivot to go through it and a thick Gasket is needed under the hot cap, then once it is together (studs  ::)) I can calculate the required length of the displacer rod and make that. Then it will be down to pot luck to get it running  ;) .

But don't hold your breath, time is short.. I am sure I had much more time when I used to work  :o

Jo

Offline samc88

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
Nice work Jo. This is shaping up nicely, it's an interesting looking engine

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 05:27:21 PM »
Thank you Sam  :)

The last piece I needed to make from barstock is the pair of arms that the bracket pivots on. First drill the holes:

Then mounted together the two sides can be tapered:

The ends rounded by hand and a couple of bushes made to fit in the big hole:

I did not fitted these together with the main bearing stands before giving them a squirt of primer. It is coming close to the point where I have to make the decision to paint or leave as gunmetal the majority of this engine :noidea:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »
I've been fettling ready for painting  :paranoia: The tripod was taken apart and the legs have been given an additional smear of araldite to help the legs hold on. Which of course pushes out when you tighten up the Allen screw that holds the legs on and has to be removed again ::)

I also realised that I had not yet put the water pipes on the water jacket so a quick drill on the mill:

These then had to be silver soldered on and of course the two tubes are on opposite sides of the jacket so they need to be held in place during the silver soldering. Two bolt sets with washers were used to do this:

I feel I am on the final straight and yes I have decided to paint my Bee. I decided against Yellow and black (very tempting that  ;) ) and went for the traditional Stirling red with a black firebox:

A couple of the pieces you can see are still in primer :facepalm: will need to be painted red. I had the joys of cutting a very thick piece of gasket card that my jewellers snips would not touch. There are some more holes to drill in the power cylinder and the hot end as I assemble the engine. Once together the final piece to make up is the displacer piston and rod:

I cannot finish this until the engine is together as I need to know how long the brass piece of the rod needs to be and possibly to adjust the length of the piston itself and that can only be found by measuring the model.

Definitely time to negotiate that next casting set  :cartwheel:

Jo

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
Love the idea of the visual pun (yellow and black striped bee?), but maybe it's too cute for an engine...still. :Lol:

Nice work overall. :popcorn:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »
It always good to see an engine from the time when the designs were artistic rather than just functional  :)  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »
Sadly those lovely "Artistic" curves are wrong  :rant:

I've been putting the engine together and the crankshaft was hitting that nice cast bracket. After a number of hours I Email Anthony and while I waited for a reply I decided to read all of his article including the bit about assembling the engine and there he admits both the nice curved link and the cast bracket had to be BODGED to fit   :hammerbash: This means the dimensions on the drawing are WRONG. You would have thought that after all this time the drawing would have been corrected  :stickpoke:

The nice cast bracket had to be "opened up" and the nice S shaped link had to be shortened by bending it in the vice  :cussing: Needless to say all my nice polished surface has been messed up and to make matters worse the casting cracked so I had to silver solder it  :censored:

No pictures today because while the crank will go round it is still tight in one place so I am still going bodging :toilet_claw: Maybe tomorrow...

Jo
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:13:58 PM by Jo »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2021, 04:12:52 PM »
 :zap:

At least they could write a note on the plans. Sheesh.

:facepalm2:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
I have bent  :facepalm2: that S shaped piece so that it is now 44mm between the hole centres rather than 47.3mm. Before:

As you can see it goes * BANG *    :ShakeHead: Now it goes:

Round and round with about 1mm to spare :)

I've also drilled the holes around the top/bottom of the cylinder bits:

I've toyed with using long screws to hold these to the main castings but one can't beat a nice set of studs   :naughty:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal