Author Topic: Bailey's 1881 Bee  (Read 12352 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Bailey's 1881 Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi Jo, Great progress on some tricky parts to hold, and a really good looking result.  I really liked your approach to the curved legs.  Brown stuff is useful after all. 

Quite an interesting looking engine.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
Brown stuff is useful after all. 

Very useful as it provides my winter heating  :)

Turning the outside to 80mm diameter was easy but taking off the 3.2mm I felt better with a bit of support and that meant I could take deeper/faster cuts:

The problem is that the rotating centre gets in the way  :facepalm: so it needs to be backed off to face the last little bit:

This end requires a step cut in it which docks in the first stage of our space ship:

Last little bit is to curve the lower edge with a router bit of a suitable external radi:

And then to check it all fits together:

:thinking: I was going to hold the top cap by the small end and machine the larger end flat but the draft angle makes this almost impossible to hold safely so it will have to be turned round and the other end done first:

Note the every important note to myself: the top bit is not the same as the diameter through all the other pieces so I mustn't get over enthusiastic  :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline corlissbs

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »
Here is my Bee, in the USA. Not much to go to finish it, but I have set it aside to finish a few other engine projects. It is a very nice engine to build. I also built Mount's Bailey Vertical. That runs so sweet.

Brad Smith
Wisconsin, USA

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »
Nice one Brad   8), I will have to see if I can convince you to finish it  :)

Jo

Offline corlissbs

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
It will get finished. I am finishing my Alyn Foundry, Robinson hot air engine now.  Brad

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »
A bit more and yes I did remember to bore the top of the cap 32mm  :ThumbsUp:

Most of the cap is just turning to size/depth except the outside that has to be cleaned up. I did this by following the profile with a button tool then smoothing off by hand. You can see where there are still dips in the surface if you first coat it with permanent marker before applying the emery paper:

Once I was happy with this it was off to Tgs to mill two slots into which the supports for the main crankshaft brackets will go. To make sure I do not cut the slots too deep I first had to zero the cutter to the depth required (this nut was the 5mm required  ;) ):

Then we can cut the slots (not forgetting to drill the holes in either end):

and check everything lines up on with the 35mm liner:

Why did Anthony make the slots 40mm long and 6.35mm wide  :headscratch: I will have to make them out of something slightly wider than the piece of 38.1mm that first came to hand  :thinking:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
If you are going to add a fillet of something like JB Weld to make it look like a casting the odd bit at the end will be covered by the fillet so you may be OK with your imperial stock. Maybe he was intending for those bits to be supplied water or laser cut from 1/4" plate though they would more likely be from 6mm plate now.

Any chance of a Coke can in a future shot to get an idea of Height? It looks quite a good size now it's starting to come together :)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2021, 08:20:32 PM »
Very nice appearance Jo - here I will admit that a good number of things looks great in red metals, when they are freshly cut and haven't oxidized yet. Will it stay that way or do you plan to paint it  :thinking:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 01:34:28 PM »
There are two options for the displacer cylinder/hot end: they can be made as one piece or as two.

Initially I was considering doing the one piece version but I am not happy on how "round" the piece of stainless tube is. The roundness of the tube matters in the displacer cylinder as the power piston needs to be a working fit.

During a visit to my supplier (to pick up someone's latest castings  ::)  :pinkelephant:  ) we discussed this problem and agreed that a better way forward is to turn it round that way we can be sure that the bore is true. Out of the "come-in-handie" stocks came a piece of thick wall steel tube and hopefully a pair of 60mm discs can be taken out of another piece I found then the pieces can be silver soldered together before final turning to size :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »
Things are not going well  :facepalm:

The piece of large diameter stuff to make the flanges with as you can see proved to have a high carbon content:

Not that it was going to beat me, having cut a pocket for the tube to sit in when I silver solder it together, Mr Silky even convinced it to part off:

However I was less impressed when I found that so called piece of nice stuff I was given to make the main cylinder out of proved to be making long blue hot spirals of swarf. I decided that while it would have excellent wearing potential I would prefer something nicer to work with so this is a reject:

So I found a piece of cast Iron, squared it up:

Decided that was sticking out a bit far so centre drilled so I could provide tailstock support:

Made a lot of swarf:

Then as I wandered back to the drawing my eyes cast on the castings box and  :o I didn't notice that before:

That is  :censored: typical three starts on making the power cylinder and now I find that they provided a casting for it. I'm going back to my cross stitch.  :paranoia:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »
You have obviously not been doing enough fondling of this one, I would expect you to be able to identify ALL the castings with your eyes closed before starting :lolb: At least you did not get as far as boring it out so have a usable if smaller bar and one without that funny coating.

At least you could have blamed it on the Little one for hiding it from you ;)

Looks like free stainless is not the same as free machining stainless :thinking:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »
It's a really fun looking engine though. Bit like a little spaceship. I would have a hard time not surrounding it with little spacemen.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
Still here and enjoying  :)  :) The fun of making things  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2021, 10:03:18 PM »
It's a really fun looking engine though. Bit like a little spaceship. I would have a hard time not surrounding it with little spacemen.

Kind of a dieselpunk-looking spaceship at that.  8)

Very nice work with the castings, Jo, as always.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Looks like I have been forgetting to up date this thread  :noidea:

I have bored the firebox casting for the exhaust stub:

You can see it is "floating" in the hole rather than falling through. This is because I left a little lip on either side:

Which made it easier when it came to silver soldering things together:

:thinking: Did I take pics of the other stuff, Ho hum  :old:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal