Engines > From Kits/Castings

Bailey's 1881 Bee

(1/23) > >>

Jo:
Back in 2001 my friend Anthony Mount brought along to the Guildford show a rather nice Vertical Concentric Hot Air Engine Bailey's Bee:

Tony wrote up his build of his model later that year in Model Engineer and if anyone is interested his short write up starts in ME No 4155 page 270. The model was designed from the engraving in this advert:

I purchased these castings from Polly Models for under £300 the set including P&P but be aware they will have them made to order so will ask for a deposit and the castings will arrive a couple of months later  :-\

As I wait for the paint to dry on the base of one of my other models prior to the hand over  ::) We have commenced casting fondling:

Unlike another of the Stirling models casting sets I have previously purchased from Polly's this one did not come with the stainless tube necessary for the displacer or the cylinder  :wallbang: With these ordered from Fleabay I can start looking at the challenge of the bottom stand:

Yes the legs curve/taper in every direction  :toilet_claw: And if they are not all the same length the model will be lopsided  :ShakeHead: As I do not own a CNC jig maker I am using the next best thing my cheap as chips printer to make a couple of wedges of the right shape to hold the casting:

This could take a while  :thinking:

Jo

propforward:
It's a nice looking engine. I'm most curious about what you have contrived to hold the legs - those are challenging parts for sure.

Alyn Foundry:
Hi Jo.

Another hot air engine eh?

Whilst familiar with most castings I’m intrigued by the colour, what material are they done in?

Cheers Graham.

Dave Otto:
Looks like a fun one, I will be following along for sure!

Dave

Jo:
Yes another Hot air engine... While I wait for my magic tablets to start working again (they have been fiddling with the dose)  I need nice easy builds   ::)

--- Quote from: Alyn Foundry on August 09, 2021, 04:27:33 PM ---Whilst familiar with most castings I’m intrigued by the colour, what material are they done in?

--- End quote ---

Other than the Flywheel which is Cast Iron, the Castings are all bronze. I think Polly's prefer to use the Bronze foundry as the foundry man delivers to the factory for them.

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version