Author Topic: Start capacitor failure?  (Read 4006 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Start capacitor failure?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2021, 11:43:37 PM »
great result it will be good to have it running again as it was.  I would of thought you would be able to get rubber
mounts a range of them are obtainable as standard items here in melbourne.
my old horizontal mill has an old 2 hp single phase motor body would be twice the size  of yours  it came from a farm were it drove a water pump on a spring  .
It would not start but would run it it was given a spin.an electrical contractor that came in to were i was working
took it to have a look at it .the switch contacts were cleaned up and the insulation on the wires repaired.with a new capacitor it has been working ever since that was 40 years ago .
John

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2021, 07:34:36 PM »
How we doing? Any Swarf sign?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
Gosh Jo, I've been slacking - had the day off relaxing but still thinking how to get the Variator & Motor assembly back inside the lathe without doing myself a mischief. I can hardly lift the Variator by itself let alone the assembled Variator, cast iron cradle and motor. I reckon I must be crocked, the best I can do is slide it about, a little at a time, it probably weighs 2cwt / 100kg ! The rubber mounts are a further complication, they could be badly damaged if I don't take care.... I could be damaged too !

IMG_3505 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

So, I'll be cleaning the interior of the lathe tomorrow, it's a nasty mess because of a slight oil leak from one of the headstock seals combined with rubber particles from the drive belts. Everything I touch inside the cabinet leaves a black gungy mark. My overalls and jeans were such a mess that've been in the wash today.

Andy     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:26:23 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2021, 09:54:56 PM »
Hi Don,

I have searched for rubber sandwich mounts threaded 1/2” x 13tpi that would suit the lathe for a few years without success, all the bobbin style rubber or anti vibration mounts sold in the U.K.have metric threads. Over the years I have seen a few other Chipmaster owners writing on the Internet asking for help obtaining suitable mounts. They appear to be available in the USA but the articles said that the supplier ( McMasterI think) won’t post abroad.
I have considered making my own, obtaining the rubber isn’t a problem but there are no longer any firms that do Vulcanising in my vicinity and I don’t know whether there are any effective adhesives for bonding rubber to steel.

Andy

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2021, 04:02:46 AM »
I wonder if one our US members might be able to assist you in getting them and posting them over? It's been done before even Ihave done it on another forum.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
According to McMaster-Carr's website, they will ship worldwide, though I have heard of some people saying they would not - worth trying the order, or just email them and ask - their customer service is usually a quick reply. Another company that is very similar to them is MSC,   https://www.mscdirect.com/   or Grainger,   https://www.grainger.com   both sell to individuals as well as business.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2021, 10:49:44 PM »
 Spent this afternoon having a fairly difficult time returning the Motor and Variator assembly by sliding it in on two lengths of 25mm square steel tube which kept the assembly just above the rubber mounting pads to avoid damaging them. As the third rubber mount at the front of the lathe had perished I substituted a block of wood as a temporary measure.
My wife took quite a lot of pictures but as most were taken from behind me I think I'll leave those out , I don't know what she was thinking  :mischief:

Fitting the toothed belt and pulley between the motor and Variator, thank goodness for the taper lock pulley on the motor shaft providing the necessary slack before it was tightened up.

IMG_3541 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_3565 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_3540 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_3564 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_3568 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

After all that the lathe was running again, in this clip I'm starting the lathe with the clutch engaged.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWXI5nJKJnY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWXI5nJKJnY</a>

So the real problem was the centrifugal switch and it was a real palaver getting the motor out and back in again, I really hope I won't have to do that again so I hope it will still be ok after a few hours use. I will continue in my quest for another rubber mount. If I can't obtain a mount with 1/2" UNC threads I will substitute a mount with a 10mm stud. I hadn't realised that the holes for the mounts go right through the base so a 10mm stud could pass through the 1/2" UNC hole and I could use a slim M10 locknut in the space beneath the lathe to fasten the mount.

Thank you to all the people who have posted suggestions and encouragement to this mini saga. I want to get back to making engines.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:05:13 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2021, 06:43:00 AM »
 :whoohoo:

Success ! Well done Andy  :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
Always nice to get our Tools back to working condition  :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal