Author Topic: Classic 9 inch Southbend lathe  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Trevorc

Classic 9 inch Southbend lathe
« on: August 02, 2021, 09:58:37 PM »
Hello,
A friend previously living in Buffalo area of WNY has passed away recently leaving an extensive metal and woodworking workshop. The most significant item is a 9 inch Southbend lathe complete with numerous accessories, see photos. Also pillar drills etc. The owner was a meticulous engineer who looked after his equipment so i think this will be in excellent condition for its age.
From the UK this looks to be a classic machine which should appeal to those that appreciate such.
What is the opinion of US forum members, it is a machine of some value or .....? Is there a market for it?
Anybody personally  interested please send me an email and I will give US contact details.
Also i would appreciate any suggestions as to how the family could dispose of these items to a good home.
Thank you.   trevorc

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Classic 9 inch Southbend lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 03:27:53 AM »
The SB9s are very desirable.   Much will depend on condition.   I can't tell that much from the pictures other than it's fairly clean....meaning it's been cleaned.   a list of the accessories would be a good idea, as well tooled lathe is much more valuable than one that is not.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 03:29:08 AM »
It appears to be an older model A.   3 1/2 foot bed.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 05:21:09 AM »
Great lathe. I also have a South Bend, Model A built about July 1948. You can check Serial # stamped on right end of bed for date of mfg.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »
What is the opinion of US forum members, it is a machine of some value or .....? Is there a market for it?
Anybody personally  interested please send me an email and I will give US contact details.

Also i would appreciate any suggestions as to how the family could dispose of these items to a good home.

If the Lathe and Workshop is in Buffalo it is too far for you to go and look at it.

I would see if I could track down a local Model Engineering Club and see if they would clear the workshop and sell the items. If not one of the members may well go over and have a look and report on the condition of the tools so you have a better idea of what it may be worth. they may also be able to let you know of any local tool dealer who might buy the tools/clear the workshop.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:14:40 AM »
I've gotten in touch with the family, I am only an hour from Buffalo. I know the folks at the local large scale railroad clubs, and will get them lists of what they have - sure that someone at the clubs would love to buy this equipment (what I don't buy first!)

Offline HG Corliss

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »
hi Trevorc
The South Bend lathe 9" work shop lathe made in since the 30's it is the most popular there are 3 models A, B, C and a 10L is identical to the 9"
some are very valuable with all the accessories

There are a lot of information on line for the South bend lathe here are some of the best

Serial Number Information - The SBL Workshophttps://www.wswells.com › sn › sn_index

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints ...http://www.vintagemachinery.org › mfgindex › detail

South Bend Parts List Books - South Bend Lathe Co.https://www.southbendlathe.com › catalog-numbers › p...

Hope this helps

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
Hello
Many thanks for all replies , advice and information, very helpful.
The lathe is still available to anybody “  hovering “ about a decision.
Regards
Trevorc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal