Author Topic: A mini ratchet handle build  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Re: A mini ratchet handle build
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 10:30:51 PM »
Corner holes for ultimate Hex ; I did some math/dwg after I did the three hadles for my son-in-law's jointer in the pix and find there is a bit of off set toward the center that is beneficial for the operation.  These were obviously a lot larger than the 4mm one above . I don't have the actual scheme noted  any longer but it bears doing the "arithmetic" again if it comes up.
   ...lew...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »
Corner holes for ultimate Hex ; I did some math/dwg after I did the three hadles for my son-in-law's jointer in the pix and find there is a bit of off set toward the center that is beneficial for the operation.  These were obviously a lot larger than the 4mm one above . I don't have the actual scheme noted  any longer but it bears doing the "arithmetic" again if it comes up.
   ...lew...

I agree - especially for larger ones, the centers of the corner holes can/should be inside the corners of the hex, or it is taking out a lot of material that can be left. The one thing effected is the amount of filing or milling to restore the ends of the flats. For holes this small, it was not a big deal, and it allowed for a little wander when drilling a .042 hole a half inch deep.  Good point to bring up!
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
Okay, back at the ratchet handle this morning. First up is the pawl follower, which sits in the end of the spring and pushes the pawl forward into the gear. Started with a piece of roundbar, turned the end to fit the spring, then milled the end to shape.

One side has a notch to let it clear the pivot end of the pawl, so that was taken off at an angle.

The finished part in place in the handle.

Next was the pawl. This one took me two tries, the first time I nibbled just a little too much off the end, and it would back up and jam the gear. Here is the second one, being shaped, used the old drill-rod-through-the-hole-to-set-height-to-nibble-off-the-corners-trick. Not a good name, but a good technique!  :Lol:

And the parts, all fitting and working well.

Then rounded off the end of the case on the mill

which gave this, but the corners down the length had to go...

so they were taken off on the lathe

And here we are after assembling it all with some grease on the internal parts - one finished mini-ratchet for 4mm hex tool bits!
:cartwheel:

For size comparison here it is with the ratchet I had been using, modified from a car headlight adjustment tool, a 1/4" ratchet handle, and a 3/8" ratchet handle.

The one I had been using, second from the left, worked well, but the head is both a lot wider and thicker - you can see how much farther out the bit projects, and those two bits are the same length. On the new one, the shank of the bit comes just through the handle, so the only way it could be shorter in that dimension would be to cut the bits. The finished width is just 3/8". This should work out well, wish I had it when making the Marion shovel model for getting up between the frames at the screws holding the control rods.
I will update the first post in this thread with the most recent version of the plans, in case anyone out there wants to build one for themselves. All I ask is that you post a picture of yours!!!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Chris, very nice tool. :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: Now I want one.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
Chris, very nice tool. :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: Now I want one.

Cheers Dan
Plans are there - make one!   Make two, they are small...   :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 07:38:27 PM »
That's a cute little guy!

I'll have to add this to my list of things to make!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 09:50:14 PM »
Print downloaded!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 01:50:24 AM »
Chris I have a ratchet that’s .5 inch wide 4 inch long and tapers to 1/4 inch, that has 1/4 inch socket head and 1/4 inch six point insert head with 20 tooth paw and reversing lever. There is no brand name on it. But I had bought it at a hardware store. They are found usually with the 6 point 1/4 inch adapters like Phillip heads, torx, etc
Something like this one.. https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profile-Ratchet-Quarters-Screwdriver/dp/B07D4DZB1T/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/132-8751298-5452600?pd_rd_w=jOZAR&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=S12JMYA0DBAY7DPZDEZM&pd_rd_r=1da1116a-0940-4345-ba76-a3640ea9d8d9&pd_rd_wg=AmUYO&pd_rd_i=B07D4DZB1T&psc=1
or this one https://www.amazon.com/Lifechaser-Screwdriver-Phillips-36-Tooth-Reversible/dp/B087BQHKCT/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Torx%2Bratchet&qid=1627260681&sr=8-9&th=1

Don
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:57:29 AM by Don1966 »

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
Not to take anything away from your very cool ratchet, but I'm surprised no one mentioned Chapman. I have a couple of them and they are very handy!

https://chapmanmfg.com/

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 02:05:59 PM »
Those are great looking sets guys! I've never seen that Chapman brand before.
 Still would have made my version, its half the width at the business end, really needed that on my current project.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 04:00:54 PM »
Yes the Chapman bits are very handy and I have used a set for years, but there are no nut drivers which is what makes the Wiha micro bits so much more useful for model work. I did not mention Chapman because I could not find the ratchet and I did not know who made the set.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »
SnapToff!! ;D

Love the name...may borrow that next time I have to make a wrench, or modify one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 09:24:34 PM »
SnapToff!! ;D

Love the name...may borrow that next time I have to make a wrench, or modify one.

Name works for pliers, vises, drills, toothpicks, salesman's necks...   :lolb:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2021, 09:48:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
I ordered the bits from Wiha and they came today. I downloaded the drawings and went back over the thread. I have a question. Is it reversible in some way or does it just ratchet in one direction? How do you go from one direction to the other?
Thanks,
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal