Author Topic: ᐌǁ Ø 'Vulcan Variation' Mill Engine Ø ǁᐍ  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: ᐌǁ Ø 'Vulcan Variation' Mill Engine Ø ǁᐍ
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
How exciting!  What a fun thing to look forward to, at least looking forward to being done with the move. Then you can enjoy your new home and new shop!
Congratulations!
Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2022, 09:18:36 AM »
Ron, Chris and Kim - thank you for your kind comments.

I'll post the occasional 'workshop-in-transition' photo as I go along.

Cheers,

Gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 10:30:58 PM »
First congratulations with moving to one of Earths most beautiful places  :Love:

Are these current pictures ?

I ask because I have only been to Isle of Sky two times in my life - first in 1993 and that looked exactly like your first picture and second time, very briefly in 2012, landing on the Ferry from Lochmaddy (Outher Hebridies) in Uig, only to have to get back to Edinburg as quickly as possible  :'(  - this time most of Northern Scotland was covered in Pine and Fir threes - looking nothing like I remembered Scotland .... (I'm told it was because of EU support to do so) and nothing like your first picture ....

Per

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 11:28:09 PM »
Fantastic Gary! My parents retired to the Highlands of Scotland. I have visited that region and Skye several times - stunningly beautiful! I could easily live there. Well done, sir, that’s a great move. Looking forward to hearing more about it as time goes on.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2022, 11:54:51 PM »
@ Per - many thanks for your kind feedback. Yeah, I took the pictures there last month. The issue of deforestation in Skye is something I still have to look at in more depth. I understand that like most of the Scottish Highlands it suffered major deforestation during the Highland Clearances. At the same time, I can't quite get my head around the idea that in a pre-industrial technology such a vast area was cleared of trees... This is something I plan to look into more deeply, and I may actually get involved with a reforestation project in Skye... once we have unpacked our boxes that is! There is quite a lot of cash-crop quick growing evergreen forestry everywhere in Scotland too - sounds like you may have seen some of that. As applies to everywhere, the Scottish Highlands and islands are not perfect... but the landscapes are pretty good all the same, and you have clearly recognised that.

@ Stuart - thank you for your positive words! I shall indeed keep you all posted via this thread.

gary

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 12:32:56 PM »

"I can't quite get my head around the idea that in a pre-industrial technology such a vast area was cleared of trees..."

I have read that the Romans cleared lots of trees, especially on Mediterranean islands, to heat their public baths.

As the song said: "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

ShopShoe

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2022, 12:58:11 PM »
Wood was such a huge commodity in those days, the number of big trees it took to build one wooden ship is staggering, let alone the use in buildings, firewood, charcoal for kilns, etc. Lots of guys with lots of axes and saws...

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2022, 01:33:39 PM »
Yes, and in the 18th and 19th centuries, the Highland Clearances were also about getting rid of the crofters from the land by sending them to the New World so that wealthy landowners could develop large-scale sheep farms.

Then as now, Imperialism and Big Business going hand in hand with a lack of respect for nature and sometimes indeed for human life.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 11:21:12 PM »
Hello guys.

Doesn't look like I'll be working on the engine again any time soon. Just as well that I have plenty of other things to keep me busy at the moment!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZCDd6Ox5gY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZCDd6Ox5gY</a>

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 11:40:36 PM »
Well, it may be an interruption but your machines are safe and dry, and the new workshop will be magnificent! Snd what a location - I have visited Skye - absutely marvellous. Well done.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2022, 11:49:55 PM »
Thanks Stuart.
Yes, machines being safe and dry is great - and as you know that has not always been the case!
 :cheers:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2022, 05:09:31 AM »
Very exciting!  Sorry, it's going to take so long, but it will be worth it to have the workshop you want in the place you want to live!

Congratulations on the upgrade, Gary! :)

Kim

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2022, 06:05:15 AM »
Congratulations on the move Gary! I guess that, after your experience in France, the new workshop will have the roof very firmly tied down, the Western Isles can be draughty places!

I've only been on Skye in early summer and it was glorious, Sue and I both loved it (my mother-in-law was a McLeod) and may get back one day.

After you get the workshop finished the winter nights will give you plenty of time to catch up on the modelling, good luck!

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
Thanks guys.

@ Kim - yes indeed. Nothing happens quickly here, but with patience the shop will come together. I will post updates on progress...

@ David - absolutely! The weather here has been mainly warm and sunny (as when you visited) but you are clearly aware that it's not always like that. I was chatting last week with a guy just up the road who is a keen amateur astronomer. His observatory blew away at one point and damaged the roof of a neighbouring house! So yes, strong workshop. The idea is to have a garage-like structure done in blockwork, attached to the house.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2022, 01:09:55 PM »
Hi Gary, beautiful wild country you are moving to, and the new workshop will be great.  Good to know the engine building is only on hold and not forgotten.

Walking in those hills will certainly keep you fit, and almost certainly prove the old adage about no such thing as bad weather…….

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal