Author Topic: ᐌǁ Ø 'Vulcan Variation' Mill Engine Ø ǁᐍ  (Read 8169 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: ᐌǁ Ø 'Vulcan Variation' Mill Engine Ø ǁᐍ
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2021, 03:19:25 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:  :cheers: you were lucky! buy those friends a few  :DrinkPint:'s !
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2021, 05:06:23 AM »
Hi Gary, good to see that you got back to the workshop in France at last.  Also great that the damage control seems to have been very effective.  All a good sign that you will soon have everything back in working order.

Wonderful to have such friends.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »
@ Stuart, Craig, cnr and MJM: thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, my friends were fabulous. Basically, they saved my France workshop from ruin.

Cheers, guys.  :cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 09:29:01 PM »
Well .... it has been absolute ages and all I have done is mill one side of the baseplate straight and marked out for the other!

Not exactly great progress...!

I have been involved with a couple of other maker projects, but mainly it's because I have been preoccupied with a much bigger factor in my life to the point I have found it difficult to muster the sustained concentration needed for engine-building... It's not bad, this thing - it's really good... but I will say more (and post photos) when the time is right! It could still be quite a while before I'm back on the engine though.

All the best once again, guys.

gary

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 10:11:23 PM »
As long as everything is good and you're happy - that is what counts the most .... even if you leave us with a bit of a Cliffhanger  :cheers:

Per

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 10:28:49 PM »
Cheers Per!
Will be back in due course...
 :cheers:

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »
I echo Per's sentiments. Glad to hear from you Gary! I had wondered what you were up to. Glad all is well, and all the best to you in the meantime.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2022, 10:37:08 PM »
Thank you Stuart.
Hope all is well with you too.
Looking forward to reconnecting more fully once things have progressed...
 :cheers:

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 11:17:31 AM »
Just got to read this thread and watch your French workshop video.  Very impressive collection of machines/equipment you have here Gary - you could run an engineering business, but in France, perhaps not, knowing how things are there.  Your French friends did an excellent job preserving your kit and reroofing the shed - you were lucky there.

Whereabout in France are you?  We have a place in Brittany near Callac.  Like you were, we haven't been there since March 2020 because of the pandemic and illnesses - we did a rush for the shuttle on the day Macron was shutting the border at 12 noon; that meant an early departure to get to the shuttle terminal by then as we had visions of overzealous motorway police turning us back had we been on the road after that time.  Never seen the terminal as packed as it was that day, seems everybody else had the same idea, get home while you can!  We hope to go out later this spring, but we shall see.

Chris

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »
Wow, how did I miss that video?  (Looking back, I was in the midst of a work crisis that involved a trip to Las Vegas...) ::)

Glad to see things turned out okay, Gary.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2022, 02:27:24 AM »
Gary, thank you so much for sharing your video with us. I was sick to my stomach thinking that what had happened and to see the end results as being minor is a good feeling. I am looking forward to seeing your progress on the Vulcan.  :wine1:

Cheers
BC1
Jim

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »
@ Chris - Thanks for your comment. I was indeed very lucky with the help I had.My place is near Redon in Southern Brittany. I was lucky enough to get a visit in last October (when I made the video), before covid ramped up again. Hoping to spend a bit of time there this coming Summer. I hope you manage to get to your place near Callac and have a great time there.

@ bent - Thank you! I find myself wondering what kind of work crisis takes one to Las Vegas. Were you working as Hunter S. Thompson's attorney by any chance?    :o

@ Jim - Thank you so much for your support throughout this, especially before I went there and didn't know what to expect.  :cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2022, 11:57:49 PM »
Well, I am now able to tell you what has been distracting me and keeping me out of my shop for all these months. I couldn't disclose this before for various reasons that I won't go into though I assure you there was nothing illegal or dodgy going on!

In five weeks time my partner and I are moving to the Isle of Skye in the north-west Highlands of Scotland:

This will be a dream come true for me, though poring over estate agents' websites, thinking, planning and making trips to look at properties up there has taken most of my time and energy, but at last it has paid off. There is already a shed behind the house there which may do for a while as a basic workshop, but there will be room beside the house to (hopefully) build a significantly bigger shop than I currently have.

But now I'm packing, and soon all my machines and tools will be loaded into a removal van so it's going to be a while...

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2022, 12:34:41 AM »
I think I'm a bit jealous. Congratulations!
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 12:41:56 AM »
Spectacular landscape there, enjoy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal