Engines > From Plans

ᐌǁ Ø 'Vulcan Variation' Mill Engine Ø ǁᐍ

(1/13) > >>

gary.a.ayres:
Thus far I have avoided attempting to build an engine with a proper valve, but the time has come for me to face this challenge. I considered various - and quite diverse - options before settling on this:

I was drawn to it for various  reasons:

(1) the plans are metric

(2) I wanted to bulid another fairly large engine, and the plans are for an engine big enough for me to take the dimensions from them without making any conversions

(3) the plans include clear, simple build notes for each part

(4) the designer encourages a flexible approach to materials, methods and the appearance of made parts.

It was that last point that really sold this one to me. My previous two engines have taken serious aesthetic liberties with the designers' ideas. However, Andrew Smith positively encourages builders to make their own unique versions of the Vulcan. For my part, I intend to go further in that my interests do not lie in making 'models of' traditional engines. No disrespect to those who do, and there are some stunning examples on this forum and elsewhere of model engines reflecting the aesthetics of the great days of steam, but my thing is to try to build something a bit 'different' - hence my verion beng called the 'Vulcan Variation'.

So, I will stick fairly faithfully to Andrew Smith's mechanical design specifications, but in every other aspect I will feel free to do my own thing. What that will turn out to mean I don't know yet, but it may have a combination of contemporary and traditional-looking elements, and it may include some recycled bits and pieces if the look and dimensions are right, but it will still (hopefully) be recognizable as some kind of a mill engine.

Although this is a relatively simple mill engine, it is nevertheless another step up for me (as a beginner) in terms of challenge, so I'm a little apprehensive.

But here goes...

crueby:
Looks like a great choice, enough added parts to learn with, you should do great with it!

Dave Otto:
Cool, looking forward to a new project!

Dave

propforward:
Following along Gary. Looks like a great choice of engine.

gary.a.ayres:
Cheers guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version