Author Topic: Valve question  (Read 1669 times)

Offline flopearedmule

Valve question
« on: July 10, 2021, 02:39:10 AM »
Hi
looking through the prints of a Julius engine and have a question.
The prints have the valve marked   "Exhaust and Steam In"
I have drawn it out in Cad and I am thinking he has the Exhaust and Inlet mixed up??
If I put the steam in where it shows on the print, it looks like it will fight with the pressure to go up and down. As the valve goes up, it will fight the pressure to go up? same as it tries to go down.
If I put the steam in the center, It looks like it will work just fine.
Would you guys take a look for me and let me know what you think??  Has anyone built this engine?
My dad is building this engine and he is almost ready to plumb it with air.
Thanks

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Valve question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 02:53:18 AM »
The way he has it drawn will work fine - if there is steam on both the top and bottom opening, the force on the valve is balanced so nothing to work against, since both ends are connected through the pipework on the outside. That is an outside-admission spool valve - if you swapped the steam/exhaust pipe hookups, you would make it an inside-admission valve. Both ways work, both were done on locomotives - it all depends on the timing of the valve gear moving the spool valve. No worries - it will work as drawn.
 :cheers:

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 02:58:25 AM »
The way he has it drawn will work fine - if there is steam on both the top and bottom opening, the force on the valve is balanced so nothing to work against, since both ends are connected through the pipework on the outside. That is an outside-admission spool valve - if you swapped the steam/exhaust pipe hookups, you would make it an inside-admission valve. Both ways work, both were done on locomotives - it all depends on the timing of the valve gear moving the spool valve. No worries - it will work as drawn.

Thanks!  I was thinking It would for sure work with the steam in the center, but I wasn't sure about the way it showed on the prints. 
Thanks for the quick response. 

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 03:13:50 AM »
As long as your here, I have another question.  ;D   I didn't have enough to do at work today, and I started looking at prints lol
I have always been interested in this engine by Julius. 
If you notice, the rods are all connected to the crankshaft individual.    If I were to make one master rod, and make the other 5 slaves to the master rod, then do the same thing to the valve rods, I'm thinking the timing would be OK as long as I make the center distance with the slaves the same on both??
(This engine has almost the same valve as the other engine in this post)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 03:37:07 AM »
Yup!

Also, by going to the master with a disc the assembly can be shorter front to back.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 03:59:04 PM »
Yup!

Also, by going to the master with a disc the assembly can be shorter front to back.

Thanks Chris
This will be on my to do list for sure.  It is a pretty straightforward build.  Julius sent me a video of someone that had built it already.  It runs great!

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »
Its been awhile since I've been on MEM, but I see I have been missing a lot!
You have started a new build project that is very inspiring, and I didn't want to hijack your build thread for off topic questions.

You mentioned a magazine you write articles for?  Is this something you would share?  I would love to know more?  If your articles are as good as your build threads, I would like to read. :happyreader: :happyreader:

Next question, You posted a picture of what looks to be an early electric motor that was built by Gustav Froment.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »
I found this electric motor while searching the internet, probably 20 years ago now.  I thought it was cool and was going to try to build a simple version of it.  My project stopped when I could not find any information I could understand on making coils.  I would love to talk to the guy that built it.  RonGinger posted  later on your build thread ( reply# 351)
(It was built by Joe Higgins of Portland Maine)  If anyone knows him, I would love to talk to him about his replica motor.  It looks amazing!  I actually saw that picture somewhere a few years ago at one of the big shows where Joe must have been.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:41:56 PM by flopearedmule »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
Its been awhile since I've been on MEM, but I see I have been missing a lot!
You have started a new build project that is very inspiring, and I didn't want to hijack your build thread for off topic questions.

You mentioned a magazine you write articles for?  Is this something you would share?  I would love to know more?  If your articles are as good as your build threads, I would like to read. :happyreader: :happyreader:

Next question, You posted a picture of what looks to be an early electric motor that was built by Gustav Froment.

Yes, I have been published in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading magazine for about 4 years now, started with a full build and plans series of my Lombard Log Hauler model, current series is the Mann Steam Wagon. Around the end of the year a big series of the Marion 91 steam shovel should start, after Kozo's locomotive series ends. All include full plans. Also this year I started a regular column called Shop Elves Corner with tips and techniques, and became a Contributing Editor - just a title, I am not an employee, but it means a regular column and a higher per page pay rate.

I didn't put up anything about electric motors, that must have been someone else.

Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 05:44:03 PM »
I found this electric motor while searching the internet, probably 20 years ago now.  I thought it was cool and was going to try to build a simple version of it.  My project stopped when I could not find any information I could understand on making coils.  I would love to talk to the guy that built it.  RonGinger posted  later on your build thread ( reply# 351)
(It was built by Joe Higgins of Portland Maine)  If anyone knows him, I would love to talk to him about his replica motor.  It looks amazing!  I actually saw that picture somewhere a few years ago at one of the big shows where Joe must have been.   
Ron Ginger lives up past Portland Maine, he may have a contact for Joe, send him a PM in case he doesn't see this thread. Ron's a great guy, sure ue would let you know.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:50:48 PM »
Speaking of Maine, for any that will be near there in a couple weeks, the logging museum is having an event where they will be running the steam Lombard plus the two gas ones, sawmills, other engines, all that fun stuff (these are real machines, not models)

I might go up for that one, not sure yet, will definitely be up there for the two-day event they hold in the fall (usually early October) assuming it happens this year. Its a ton of fun, just means a 10-hour drive each way from where I live. I was up there in early June for thier first event of the year.
Chris

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 12:08:17 AM »
Just a thought - if you had the shop elves drive you , them in the Mann truck and you in a lawn chair in a big balloon tired garden wagon towed behind the Mann, you could just relax and enjoy the scenery! If you started out in 2nd week of August you'd be in Maine by October for sure. Think of the savings in gasoline!  :Lol:

Oh wait, the shop elves' beer bill and the roadhouse bust-up repairs would cost more than the gas and the car...........to say nothing of the cookie tab!  :Lol:  :cheers:

(well it was just an idea.)  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 12:10:40 AM »
Just a thought - if you had the shop elves drive you , them in the Mann truck and you in a lawn chair in a big balloon tired garden wagon towed behind the Mann, you could just relax and enjoy the scenery! If you started out in 2nd week of August you'd be in Maine by October for sure. Think of the savings in gasoline!  :Lol:

Oh wait, the shop elves' beer bill and the roadhouse bust-up repairs would cost more than the gas and the car...........to say nothing of the cookie tab!  :Lol: :cheers:

(well it was just an idea.)  :Lol:
:lolb:
And when they woke me up to say we were there, I'd look up and see the Disneyland sign!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal