Author Topic: T head engine by Brian  (Read 18677 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
T head engine by Brian
« on: July 06, 2021, 11:25:01 PM »
Today seen the beginning of a new engine.---The design phase, at least. After recently seeing  an Upshur T head coming together on  HMEM and a post by Vederstein about  building a T head engine I thought that would be an interesting engine to design and build. I'm in no rush to start building, but I know how that generally works. I spent most of today bringing the design along to this stage, and will probably finish up the cylinder head tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:28:14 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: T head engine by Brian
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:38:23 PM »
Very interesting look to that engine, will be watching along!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 05:53:45 PM »
Great progress made this morning. I decided to keep the engine air cooled. I think the grooves in the cylinder and cylinder head look good.

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 07:58:07 PM »
Brian, I like the look of this engine so far!  I'll be closely following your progress in the design and then during building.

More great work!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
Okay---We've got a carburetor, carb adapter, heavier crankshaft and an exhaust system. Also a set of tappet guides and two very long valves, riding in valve cages. Tomorrow I will stick a set of points and an ignition cam on it, and probably a gas tank.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
Very interesting looking design - are the valves themselves at the top of the rods coming off the eccentrics, out on the 'arms' of the tee? Or is there a rocker inside?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
The Tee Head engine design is finished. Fortunately, I was able to sneak the ignition points and condenser in behind one flywheel (which is hidden in this model), without offsetting the flywheel any. I also added a gas tank and a pleasant looking mounting bracket. None of the detail drawings are made yet, but the design is finished, so detail drawings are pretty simple now.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
Chris---This kinda/sort answers your question. The cams which operate the valves are on the large gear, which is driven at 1/2 the crankshaft speed.  Adjustable height tappets  bear on the cams, and these tappets run inside a guiding sleeve. The end of the valve stems ride on top of the tappets. The head of the valves are in the combustion chamber. The valves are "direct acting" with no rocker arms. It is called a t head because the combustion chamber is shaped like a capitol T with the cylinder being the upright and the two valves are in the arms of the T.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 03:45:10 PM »
Great diagram/explanation - thanks!!!

Online Twizseven

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 03:59:27 PM »
Brian,

Like the look of this one.  One thing puzzles me.  I cannot see any valve springs.  I appreciate that as the cam rotates and the follower goes with it, the valve will drop and thus close, but I cannot see this being quick enough or positive enough.  When I first saw your design I had wondered whether you had hidden them in the long valve guide.  Or another possibility have them between the top of the valve guide and maybe a washer and splitpin/collet on the valve.

Regards,

Colin

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:45:01 PM »
Colin---it's a trick. You don't see them because I haven't modelled them yet. I'll get to that tomorrow. I haven't designed any way to get oil into that enclosed crank-case yet either.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 12:19:34 AM »
Colin--I added some valve springs for you.---Brian

Online Twizseven

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »
Brian,

That looks better  :) :) :) :)

Love your coloured CAD renditions.

Colin

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »
Now we have an oil filler tube for the wet sump, a drain, and some totally awesome gear guards. Other than keeping your fingers out of the gears, these gear guards cut down a lot of the noise from the gears meshing.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
Looks good Brian.  Could you put an oil sump/splash shields on the gear guards as well, or are you planning to just run dry gears?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal