Author Topic: T head engine by Brian  (Read 18673 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: T head engine by Brian
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 02:04:51 AM »
I just coat the gears in good bearing grease. I was getting bored. Oh Oh--I'm having machining withdrawal. I haven't built anything since I made a set of rings that worked. I went and seen my favorite material guy and paid $25 for a piece of 6" x 1" x 12" long piece of aluminum.  A couple of days drilling, tapping, counterboring, sawing, and milling work has yielded the main frame of my t-head engine. I have a visiting grandson from out of town, so might not machine anything more for a few days. Damn, I like a day spent in my shop!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 10:58:39 PM »
I hate chain drilling!!! The original plan was to bolt this part to the faceplate and bore it out to the required size. Sadly, my lathe which is supposed to swing 12" really only swings about 11 1/2" so, it has been chain drilled instead. Now to knock the piece out and smooth up the resulting mess. I hope that I can tie this part to my rotary table to clean everything up.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
I would have had to build some more fixturing to mount this on my rotary table. This is where my oscillating drum sander really pays for itself. The curved area is non critical, just a visual thing, and this took about five minutes on the oscillating drum sander.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 01:36:14 AM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »
Well, so far, so good. The cylinder base mounts to the main chassis. Depending on what my wife has planned for me today, I might even get a cylinder up there.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
Incredible progress! Very nice shape to the engine.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 08:04:58 PM »
We have a cylinder. It is pretty, it fits where it's supposed to, and after honing the bore with a 3 stone brake hone it measures about 1.001" bore. That's all for today folks. I will get some mounting holes drilled in the cylinder tomorrow.---Brian

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
Brian, I have a question on your build.  One of you drawings shows what looks like a Traxxas carb.  Is that what you're going to use on this engine?  I know from some of your other parts, you've used at least 3 different carbs, 1) the cfellows carb 2) the JAG carb 3) the gbritnell carb.  Which carb are you going to use and which one do you think works best and that you like the best?  As a bonus question, do you ever use an adapter that acts as an insulator between the carb and the head?

I'm enjoying your build and am watching it closely!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2021, 10:10:39 PM »
The Traxxas carb is my "go to" carb for a fast build. They are ideal for this size of engine. I have made the George Britnell carb, the Malcolm Stride carb, the Chuck Fellows carb, and my modified version of the Chuck Fellows carb. All of these carburetors work well. The carburetors I built were just exercises in "seeing if I could build a carburetor".  And no, I don't use any kind of insulator between the cylinder and the carburetor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 12:03:12 AM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
Due to the way this engine is constructed, the swing of the con rod would hit the side of the cylinder bore on it's way to bottom dead center. This cavity in the bottom of the piston aligns with the cavity in the bottom plate which bolts to it, to give clearance for the swing of the connecting rod.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:13:26 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 01:47:27 AM »
And---The miserable piggy of the day award goes out to this cylinder head. It is finished except for the cutting of the cooling fins, but I've managed to put in an entire day on this part. Some days you eat the bear----Some days the bear eats you!!! The bear eat me today on this part, but I'm pleased with it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
Today I built the cylinder head for my engine. I still have to put the slots in the cylinder head and plate right below it to make cooling fins.  The only aluminum part left to build now is the gas tank mount. So, I basically have a whole engine here in six parts. Tomorrow I hope to cut the cooling fins and make the gas tank mount, then it will be on to mechanical things.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 04:03:21 PM »
We now have "fins" in the cylinder heads. They were cut in using a 0.094" slitting saw. I have to go now and introduce myself to Mr. Lawnmower and Mrs. Whippersnipper. My yard is starting to get a bit jungly with all the rain we've been having.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 09:10:18 PM »
Nice progress Brian  :ThumbsUp:

My yard is starting to get a bit jungly with all the rain we've been having.

Much to be prefered compared to the rain that has partly removed many towns from the map in Germany the other day - 130 found dead so far  :'(

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 11:06:44 PM »
Admiral---we had a tornado here yesterday. Fortunately it was on the far side of the city from where I live.  Today I went to see my nut and bolt guys, and replenished some shcs that I was getting low on. Also bought the two shoulder bolts that will support the cam gears. Found time to make a gas tank mount. Now all of the aluminum parts of the engine main body are finished. Tomorrow I may dive into the mechanical parts.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal