Author Topic: Inline 4  (Read 7570 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Inline 4
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2021, 09:46:47 PM »
I seem to remember that Mike did what you should consider a few months back on the Mercedes build - with great result .... So take a look and see if it inspires you  :cheers:

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 10:19:54 PM »
I seem to remember that Mike did what you should consider a few months back on the Mercedes build - with great result .... So take a look and see if it inspires you  :cheers:

It is a very interesting idea, I might actually have to do something similar.
I will spend a bit of time thinking on it.

Thanks for your reply

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
Don't ask me (I'm sticking to single cylinders for now), but I do agree with the Admiral that Mike's line boring jig setup looked pretty cool.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
Don't ask me (I'm sticking to single cylinders for now), but I do agree with the Admiral that Mike's line boring jig setup looked pretty cool.

The main problem is that I do not have a hole already, But I am thinking of drilling a smaller hole as accurate as I can from both ends and go from there.
Maybe work up to a size that will be manageable with the same concept.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 10:05:09 PM »
So I did end up drilling through with a few different bits, Finished with 3/4"
It ended up maybe 1/64 off in the center, but it is close enough. My ability to perfectly align things is not quite there yet, possibly lacking some toys to make life easier.

One of the next missions would be to build that boring jig.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 11:04:30 PM »
I managed to have a bit of free time, So I opted to start on the head, since it was just sitting there looking at me.
That and I have to dial the lathe in, I haven't used the tail stock since I got it, so I am sure it will need to be adjusted.

Cut the head to size and squared up the bottom and top.
Drilled some small holes in the centers for alignment purposes if needed. (haven't decided yet to use the rotary table or straight passes)
Drew out where the piston and sleeve will line up, visual reference.

I notice I am jumping around from one thing to the next before completing anything. Mostly I am just doing the "easy" stuff that I am comfortable doing in the time I get to play.
I like to think of it as practicing for the harder stuff.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 12:12:52 AM »
Its been a fairly hot week, so after work I couldn't muster any energy to mess about much.

My cast Iron showed up and I did mess around with the lathe for a bit, trying to get the tailstock centered. But ultimately didn't complete the task yet.

Bored out for my sleeves and worked on the Head a bit. Not too much but slowly getting there.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 11:29:39 PM »
Update for those who were following this.
It has been a little while so I finally got around to the forum to make this update..

I will keep the details short as I am at a loss of words
It has been a rough few months. My mother was diagnosed with far too many forms of cancer early this year. She was originally given 3 months, but stuck it out until October 19th.

Since then I have slowly been trying to get myself back at it and keep the old man company.

I have not made much of any progress on the build, but hopefully I can get back at it soon.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »
I’m following along. That is very tough and I’m sorry to hear about it. Sincere condolences, and I wish you all the best.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2021, 01:13:54 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your mother. A difficult time in many ways.
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 11:16:47 AM »
So that Dammed decease claimed another victim  :'(

You have my full sympathy and condolences to your family.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 03:57:55 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mom. It is good you can spend the time with your dad though.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
I thank you guys for the responses. It has taken me well over a day to try to respond to this thread again. Socially awkwardness makes it extremely difficult.

As for the build, there was a sliver of progress after the last post and a bit more the last few days.
I attempted to fit the sleeves oversized with the oven and freezer... failed miserably and got it stuck about an inch in and almost had a panic attack.. Managed to get it out before there was a real problem though.

Then decided to slip fit it with some loctite that I do not yet have, once it shows up this week I should be able to put them in and bore them out. Opted to bore them out installed, seems easier to get the same size if I do all 4 at the same time.

Other then that, many holes have been drilled in the head.. with a bunch more to go...

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »
Made and installed the valve seats and valve guides.
Made 1 test valve to make sure they all lined up good, but the finish is terrible on it. so I wont be using it.

Thinking of making the valves in 2 pieces. wasn't sure if anyone has done it on here or not, but I figured it might be easier to work with.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to give the internal of the block a good cleaning to remove the sand that is still lingering before to put the liners in.

Getting closer and closer to the dreaded camshaft and crank.. one small bit at a time..
Still have some prep work before I attempt the cam shafts though.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2021, 10:56:09 PM »
Very nice progress and some lovely work.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal