Author Topic: Inline 4  (Read 7575 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Inline 4
« on: July 04, 2021, 02:32:21 AM »
Before I begin, This WILL be a really slow build. Possibly an absurd amount of mistakes also... (This will be my learning build)

So awhile ago, I made a casting for an inline 4. It did not turn out the best, but I decided to roll with it anyway.
Yesterday, I got a little bit of time to putter around in my garage and ended up digging out the casting and started working.
Shortly after starting, my mill decided that the belt wasn't good enough anymore and promptly retired it.
So a few hours of today was spent installing the spare belt.

I managed to roughly cut it down square and ready to boar out. Still need to finish it to the proper size.
Filed it a bit and slipped a few times.
I will have to go get some steel and cast iron at some point.
Overall it will be 1.25" bore and 1.5" stroke.

Will have to figure out a way to clean it up a bit (suggestions welcome  :))
More castings to make.
Depending on how this adventure goes, I might have to use the same castings and make a V8 design.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Inline 4
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 07:03:45 PM »
I don't work with castings, however there are plenty on here who do and I wish you every success  :)  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: I also have some long term builds  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline AlexS

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
Cool casting, looping good! And 120cc engine pretty big engine.
Will follow along.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
Nice Casting  :)

Is it going to be a water cooled block? Have you already sketched out the design or are you scaling up/modifying something else to provide a new engine design?  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 10:18:19 PM »
Nice Casting  :)

Is it going to be a water cooled block? Have you already sketched out the design or are you scaling up/modifying something else to provide a new engine design?  :noidea:

Jo

It will be water cooled.
Completely my own design. I wanted to do the casting as I found it interesting. I have been printing out molds to use for it. The latest set I made is a bit difficult to to release from the sand but is functional, I did have one attempt at the crank case top half on Saturday, but it ended up with a bubble in a bad spot. (Will have to adjust my technique)

I will Be attempting again today, but I will be sure to take a picture of the failed try before it gets melted. As this build goes along, I may clean up my molds that work the best to get a nicer finish for another future "rebuild" if successful.

Still finding it difficult to acquire some cast iron, 1144 and W1 drill rod in my area for this project.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 12:55:21 AM »
After My second attempt with slightly different method, I still resulted with a bubble in the same place.
But not quite as bad as the first one.

I will most likely recast without any cores as a solid block to prevent the issue again and save myself a little time.
I am sure that I could use it regardless of the bubble, but I think I will redo it solid third time around.

Attempt #1 Poured straight into the top with the mold placed at an angle up to the vent.

Attempt #2 Decent outside

Attempt #2 Feed up through the bottom at a slower pour rate and angled up to the vent.

I will fiddle around with it and eventually I might learn something.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Hi Shiroth.

It's difficult to tell from your photos but are you using the Cope ( top box half ) to cast in?

If you were to use the Drag ( bottom box half ) the sump areas would be facing upwards and any gasses generated could escape via the split line.

Those sumps could also be " self codding " ( using the pattern inside shape ) to create the semicircular shape rather than an additional core. Using this method can allow the use of a vent wire, from the Cope top, after Strickling to help release gasses.

The Black coloured tinge? Are you using " oil " bonded sand?

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
Hi Shiroth.

It's difficult to tell from your photos but are you using the Cope ( top box half ) to cast in?

If you were to use the Drag ( bottom box half ) the sump areas would be facing upwards and any gasses generated could escape via the split line.

Those sumps could also be " self codding " ( using the pattern inside shape ) to create the semicircular shape rather than an additional core. Using this method can allow the use of a vent wire, from the Cope top, after Strickling to help release gasses.

The Black coloured tinge? Are you using " oil " bonded sand?

Kind regards, Graham.

Yes, I was doing it upside down =) with wire thin vent holes and my main overflow vent with the inlet.
I opted to do it upside down as I was adding the cores to the bottom half (top half upside down), cores were same sand to avoid having to use my C02
If I incorporate the "Core" sections into the main mold in a 2 part system, I should be able to pack it and do it right side up =)
Instead of having them placed in as I was doing.

I thank you for your input, I didn't think it would be an issue upside down, but from what you said, it does make sense now =)
You gave me some inspiration to try at it some more before I give in and do it solid.
It will require some more printing and design work, but it is part of the fun.

My sand is bentonite and silica. I would like to try oil sand at some point though.
I don't know much about the technical terms for a lot of this.
As for the black tinge, I have no clue =)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »
I've been founding for over 40 years now, in the beginning virtually every casting was a " waster " in foundry parlance.

Your casting effectively becomes a roof, trapping the fume from the core. By using the " Drag " for your casting you can ensure a greater " head " of metal is available to reduce the risk of " shrink " and porosity.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, there's quite a few members here that already have the " T " shirt.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline mnay

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 07:49:50 PM »
Did you build the pink jeep?
Is it your own design or did you have plans for it
Looks neat.
Mike

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 09:22:16 PM »
I've been founding for over 40 years now, in the beginning virtually every casting was a " waster " in foundry parlance.

Your casting effectively becomes a roof, trapping the fume from the core. By using the " Drag " for your casting you can ensure a greater " head " of metal is available to reduce the risk of " shrink " and porosity.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, there's quite a few members here that already have the " T " shirt.

Kind regards, Graham.

Thanks, I am sure I could learn a lot from you guys  :)

Just finished adjusting my strategy and attempt #3, much easier to setup my sand and remove the molds this time around. Turned out fairly decent this time, though it did have a small imperfection in the center area. But I don't think it would be a huge deal.
I did take your advise and try it right way up this time.

I did manage to stay within temperature range, around 730. Not completely sure how accurate the heat gun is though, so I may have to get a probe.
In process of making the bottom half molds

Some small pitting..

"The Hole"

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »
Looks like an interesting project. It's a good sized I4. I did build a single 1.125 X 1.1 But haven't done a multi cylinder yet. I don't have the equipment to do casting but I find someone else doing it interesting.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
Looks like an interesting project. It's a good sized I4. I did build a single 1.125 X 1.1 But haven't done a multi cylinder yet. I don't have the equipment to do casting but I find someone else doing it interesting.
Art

I find it very interesting to cast things. It doesn't really require a whole lot of equipment to do, I started off building a MacGyver flame thrower and a propane tank foundry with plaster, sand and pearlite..
then swapped out the plaster sand abomination for some fire bricks and kaowool.

Still requires a bit of work, but I will hold off until the bottom half is poured.

Sat them together to make it look like I did something..

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 01:42:59 AM »
Finished most of the molds a few days ago, sanded and painted for a bit better finish on them and to help release easier.

Attempted to cast the bottom half of the case today when the sand mold broke before I could get it together, retried with some screws embedded into the sand to help specific parts from causing trouble. Managed to get it all together and poured. Given the first round I wasn't hopeful on the result. But very unexpectedly, it turned out nearly perfectly, aside from some discoloration.. and some extra bonus material . . .

Next pour will be the head and if I find extra time to mess about, I may attempt to recast all of them again as a second set. Once I clean up the original molds and get them all painted

Offline mnay

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:57 PM »
Those castings look great. 
I am following along.
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal