Author Topic: Inline 4  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Re: Inline 4
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »
Spend a bit of time drawing up my camshaft and crank shaft in my cad to make sure all my measurements are correct. Then decided to print them off for visual reference.
Cam shaft I changed up in my cad to make the printing better in my opinion. Made all the parts slide onto a 1/4" key.

Cam has a .125 lift, Unsure if that will be good or not. Could appreciate some input on the matter.

Crank shaft I had planned to use 2" 1144 but that limits the journal's to being .5" thick, Again, I would like some input or suggestions.

Everything is subject to change =)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 06:11:46 PM »
The necessary valve lift depends on the valve diameter. 1/4 the diameter is enough. The journal diameter depends to an extent on how hard you are going to work the engine. For a 'display' engine 0.5" will be fine. If it is to be used for competition a bit bigger might be good.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 07:02:35 PM »
The necessary valve lift depends on the valve diameter. 1/4 the diameter is enough. The journal diameter depends to an extent on how hard you are going to work the engine. For a 'display' engine 0.5" will be fine. If it is to be used for competition a bit bigger might be good.

Thanks, so a .5 valve should be my max.

As for the journals I may need to go larger as I do not have a specific plans as of yet for it, but I would not want to limit it to being a shelf toy.

Was also pondering double valves, but as of right now it is just a thought. maybe something in the future.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:33 PM »
After pouring the bottom half (oil pan), with a small internal part. I noticed that if I intended to go larger with the journals, my pan was cut too short and wouldn't allow for the extra size crank.

So I played around a little bit with my method in which I was casting. Turns out I learned a little bit more this time around as my new pan turned out with a HUGE finish difference!

I will most likely end up creating new molds at some point to allow for extra material.

Small part turned out good

New pan with a much better finish then my original castings, I beat it with a 5lbs dead blow hammer to pack the sand more then I had been before. the core is slightly off, but it is not a problem as it can be cleaned out.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 02:51:43 AM »
Finally got around to ordering some material! After a fair bit of scouring around hunting metal shops with no success, I finally ended up on mcmaster.com
Though it is a US shop, the inventory is nuts! and still cheaper then sourcing some of the materials in Canada I have come across.

So with any luck, I should be able to get my order soon.

EDIT.. They canceled my order on me... Not accepting orders unless it is for a business or school.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:48:11 PM by Shiroth »

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 11:41:14 PM »
Finally got around to ordering some material! After a fair bit of scouring around hunting metal shops with no success, I finally ended up on mcmaster.com
Though it is a US shop, the inventory is nuts! and still cheaper then sourcing some of the materials in Canada I have come across.

EDIT.. They canceled my order on me... Not accepting orders unless it is for a business or school.  :facepalm:

Reordered with my business name, delivered my 12" 1144 and 6 feet of 0.75 W1 drill rod today. Expecting the cast iron in about 1-2 weeks. Downside is that I wanted to start with the cast iron, then move to the crank after more work on my casted parts..

I did end up casting the head twice, first one I wasn't happy with, second one had a questionable spot that may or may not interfere. haven't taken any pictures of it though, but I will when I get something done with it.

Also did a little to the top half of my crank case. mostly waiting for a specific tap to arrive..

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 12:04:08 AM by Shiroth »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 12:17:43 AM »

That is bizarre - they have always sold to individuals worldwide in the past, though their terms/conditions state that they will evaluate non-US orders for whether they can be filled,  certain items have export restrictions but not raw metals. Must be some odd export or tax thing. Glad you were able to re-order as business!

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 02:01:22 AM »
Spent a fair amount of time over this weekend just drilling and tapping holes, 40 holes and 20 holes tapped.
I will have to go out and get a bunch of bolts now so I can bolt everything together.

Next I will have to bore out for my sleeves, and drill out the case for the crank.
It has occurred to me that I do not own a Chamfer / Debur / countersink bit to clean up my holes, yet... I will be sure to add it to my box sooner then later.
Slowly getting farther from nothing to something.

I should have used a smaller endmill to drill out the right size for the bolt head, something that I overlooked at the time.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 10:20:17 PM »
Went for a drive today to get some bolts, Bolted it all together to make sure it all fits and there is no problems.
Other then that I have not done anything except take more pictures of it all put together.
So I figured I would post the pictures, everyone likes pictures!

Got a little marked with the key...

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 10:46:31 PM »
We do like pictures - and it looks mighty fine indeed. This will be very fun to follow along.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 10:59:56 PM »
Nice progress  :ThumbsUp:

Funny to see the 'lines from the 3D printer' on the cylinders - will that be painted or have another kind of finish later ?

Per

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »
We do like pictures - and it looks mighty fine indeed. This will be very fun to follow along.

Thanks, it has been quite amusing thus far just casting the parts. I will have to draw up some gaskets for wifey to cut out with her Cricut.
I will need some shim or gasket in place to drill out for the crank.

Many things to do and I find it difficult to decide on..

Nice progress  :ThumbsUp:

Funny to see the 'lines from the 3D printer' on the cylinders - will that be painted or have another kind of finish later ?

Per

Very slow progress, but It is slowly getting there. Most likely I will give it a light sanding and paint, I am not familiar with any finishing techniques. Not sure how you guys get the nice finishes.
But I do like the cast look, maybe I will sand blast it or something just to clean up some of the print details.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 11:31:58 PM »
Following along, quite a substantial engine, nice proportions.   :popcorn:

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 11:53:13 PM »
Following along, quite a substantial engine, nice proportions.   :popcorn:

Decided to go a little larger for my first one, was hoping to make it a little easier working with slightly larger parts.

Hopefully it should get a bit more interesting when the cast iron shows up.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 06:49:24 PM »
After contemplating a few different methods, I have decided to turn to the forum for suggestions. I will have to drill a 7/8 hole through the case for the crank and bushings. Unfortunately I do not have any drill bits long enough and my boring bar might also not be long enough. Thought about making something with my new 3/4 drill rod to do the job. But figured I would ask here before I try something and completely mess it all up.

7.5" long so I am not sure how accurate any of the methods I am thinking of would be.

Spent a good portion of today alone just thinking about it at work, and awhile longer before hand trying not to think about it.
I am confident there will be more situations like this I will have to ask for opinions on before I do something.

I appreciate any opinions or ideas  ;)

Also, bonus picture =)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 06:52:28 PM by Shiroth »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal