Supporting > Boilers

adequate boiler???

(1/4) > >>

scc:
Some time ago I aquired a small vertical boiler, it has been fettled now and again ever since. It is now tested to 80psi.  I connected it to my Charlesworth engine via a short, unlagged copper pipe.  When I built the engine I was sure that it would  just run on air and then sit in a case on the shelf. I failed to seal many joints properly :facepalm2:  connected to boiler.... steam every where!
I need to re-assemble with proper gaskets, etc.    Before I do that I need to know if the boiler is up to the job.
It is 3" dia x 3" tall.   It has 14 vert tubes, each 4mm dia plus a central flue 12mm dia. There is a (superheater?) coil in the top.
The Charlesworth is 1" bore x 2" stroke so  opinions please :help:        Terry

steamer:
Generally speaking....not by a long shot.   Perhaps for short runs at very slow speeds...but it's not going to be fun trying to get boiler feed water into that little boiler fast enough to feed that engine, at say ...80 psi

scc:
Thanks for the rapid reply.    You have confirmed my suspicions :'(      My current project is the 2" x 2" Clarkson so even worse!
   Terry

steamer:

--- Quote from: scc on July 03, 2021, 09:45:43 PM ---Thanks for the rapid reply.    You have confirmed my suspicions :'(      My current project is the 2" x 2" Clarkson so even worse!
   Terry

--- End quote ---

Link it up and run it really slow...it will work for a few minutes...but as a comparison the boiler in my boat  (a compound,  1.5 x 3.0 x 2.5) with a 13.5 sq foot water tube at 550 rpm...is JUST keeping up with it and Ive got flames at the stack!...

scc:
Nuff said!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version