Author Topic: CDS tube for a cylinder liner  (Read 915 times)

Offline Phil1965

CDS tube for a cylinder liner
« on: July 03, 2021, 07:01:09 PM »
I am looking at building a Wyvern for my next model. Looking at the drawings I have a piece of CDS  tube that is suitable in size. Would I run into any problems using this?
Many thanks for any advice given.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: CDS tube for a cylinder liner
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 08:34:59 PM »
Hi Phil, would you like to introduce yourself to the members? That will aid us in knowing your experience etc.

CDS is not a standard liner material. I don't think I have ever heard of it being used, the Wyvern had a Cast Iron liner. Why do you think CDS may be appropriate?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 08:49:21 PM »
With a skim off the bore which may not be perfectly round and then honed I don't see any reason why you could not use it if you have the material to hand. Then it's not much different to cutting a liner from steel or using honed hydraulic tube which one of our members uses to good effect on his Otto Langen engines. Probably more popular in teh US where they have DOM steel tubing as well ( Drawn over mandrel)

I've only used steel for smaller bore engine liners and then run the CI piston in the bore rather than using rings but it's still basically iron on steel.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 09:13:53 PM »
Lots of issues here like how thick is it to start with?  The machined step in the liner is there for good reason  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 02:55:25 AM »
Hi Phil, if machining a liner from CDS, you may find it deforms / moves after a few cuts. There is a lot of internal stress put into CDS during drawing. May be tough to get good surface finish.

Continuous cast iron cored bar might be more stable, and easier to get a good finish on. Or Meehanite solid cast iron bar drilled and bored. Machines beautifully and makes a nice wear surface for rings to run on. You also get to join the Black Fingers Club - lots of black dust when machining it!    :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Phil1965

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 07:05:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I might hang on to the tube for another project. To many variables.
I am new to model engineering but served my time as a fitter 40 years ago so not that unfamiliar around a workshop. Saying that doing everything in miniature is a different matter especially when you are building a workshop at the same time.
Thank you for the advice

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal