Author Topic: Morton M5  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Morton M5
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
Just beautiful and a very nice description on how you did it - I'm enjoying to see this again - so thank you George  :cheers:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2021, 12:03:51 AM »
The heads probably took the most time for an individual part, not counting there was 5 of them. I started with round stock and turned the combustion chamber counterbore and the fins. I drilled a hole to the depth of the combustion chamber then made a conical tool from drill rod to cut the shape.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 12:10:07 AM »
The head was laid out with center lines then set up in the mill to put the valve pockets in. I calculated the distance needed in CAD, picked up the center lines then drilled and reamed for the valve guides and pockets.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2021, 12:16:56 AM »
The head was securely screwed onto a threaded mandrel then put into the mill vise. The head was tilted to the required angle and initial milling started for the various shapes and fins. I blued up the boss shape around the valve guide hole and stepped the radius off.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2021, 12:20:34 AM »
The next step was to put the top fins onto the head. This was accomplished with a slittng saw of the proper thickness.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2021, 12:24:14 AM »
Some final pictures of the head with all the holes drilled and tapped. The heads will have steel valve seats pressed in and bronze guides also pressed in place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal