Author Topic: Another Pennsylvania A3 Switcher  (Read 284 times)

Offline JCvdW

• Somerset West, South Africa
Another Pennsylvania A3 Switcher
« on: May 01, 2024, 07:43:59 PM »
After paging through Kozo's excellent book for more than a year now, and inspired by Kim https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8552.0.html and Blondihacks on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY67-4BrEae-xhrvZX33gPk4Q87S1ttae, I finally decided to take the plunge. Who knows, if I can get past the boiler, I may just finish this project one day.

I will try to follow the build sequence suggested by Kozo, and will buy materials as needed along the way. Specific materials and sizes are not always readily available, so I will have to adapt and improvise as I go along. For instance, brass will be replaced by mild steel where possible.

I do not intend to post every step of the way, but will try to make notes where I think it may perhaps benefit others (and/or myself) in future.

Every journey begins with the fist step - in this case cutting the first mild steel disk for a tender wheel:

A few days later - eight tender wheels ready to be painted:

Notes:

1. The 30 deg pointed cutting tool used to machine the wheel plate, must have sufficient side rake to clear the rim of the wheel.

2. Turn the mandrel in the sequence suggested by Kozo. First cut the thread before turning it to final size.
There is no planet B ...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Another Pennsylvania A3 Switcher
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 08:19:43 PM »
Great  start!  Will be watching along...   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Another Pennsylvania A3 Switcher
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 05:25:07 AM »
Eight beautiful tender wheels!  What better start to the A3 Switcher project could you ask for?  :cheers: :popcorn:

Good luck on this extended project.  I wish you all the enjoyment that I have had in tackling this project.  Have fun!  ;D

Looking forward to reading as many updates as you care to post!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal