Author Topic: Throwaway milling cutters  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Throwaway milling cutters
« on: June 24, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
I have been using a few Presto throwaway cutters for a while and needed some replacements and other sizes. The new ones are from a European source and have the flat in a completely different position. Is there a standard? It doesn't matter to me as I am using an ER chuck but I was just wondering  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Throwaway milling cutters
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
Not that I know of, mine all seem to vary. The actual shank length can also be different, some of teh Hertel FC-3 cutters I have are very short and don't work in sidelock holders but as you say fine in ER collets.

The three smallest in this photo are all "disposables" but flats too close to end for use in a sidelock o at least the ones I have

Offline mikemill

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »
I use these through away cutters, I would be interested to hear of suppliers that others use, I have found Greenwood Tools to be the best price, although I have tried some of the Chinese cutters found on e-bay to my surprise they are very good. A set of eight cutters for £10 bargain!

Mike

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Greenwood have stopped trading

As mentioned I use the Hertel ones which are available from MSC Direct here in the UK, best wait until they have them in their monthly flyer then they work out about £4.50 for the uncoated.
https://www.mscdirect.co.uk/cgi/insrhm

APT ones are just a bit more once VAT is added and cut quite well, these are also coated but as the full length shanks are not much more I tend to go for them.
https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/ Their carbide are also reasonably priced and what I use quite a lot on the CNC

My other usual supplier works out a bit pricier on 6mm and under cutters :(

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
Just looked at the ones you link to on MSC, I had never heard of a 'throw-away' category of end mills before - what is the difference from normal ones, other than a huge price difference? Looked on the US site for MSC, they dont have that category.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »
I was assuming "throw away" was a result of not being able to re grind the end mills - which I suppose is typical for most home shop machinists. Is it worth saving them up and then taking them somewhere for re grinding? I have no idea, but I save all my "oops" moments cutters. I don't think I've actually worn one out properly yet (ie from just continual use), it's always using them improperly.  :embarassed:

But I know they could be re ground - just not by me at this point.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »
They are made as well as an other milling cutter but as it is not really practical for industry to resharpen smaller dia cutters they got known as "throw away" and to save you throwing away more HSS than you really need to they made the shanks a bit shorter too.

You only tend to see them in 3-flute and ball end hence they are also often known as FC-3 cutters and mostly only upto 6mm or 1/4" but the Hertel ones do go upto 10mm

I would say 75% of my cutters for the manual mill below 6mm and 1/4" are this type

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 05:35:18 PM »
Thank you all  :) So no standard. I am paying CHF 9.10 so around £ 7 in the small sizes.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal