Author Topic: A new high?  (Read 810 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
A new high?
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
As a former supplier it's always gratifying to see the results of your efforts being built and finished. Some 32 years ago I moved into the area of " true scale " engines. The first attempt was of an 1895 Robinson type " X " gas engine. Affectionately called the " Chippie " engine as their main role was driving potato chipping and rumbling machines that Robinson also made.

My model was a great success and sold nearly 100 units over the coming years. Many kits were destined to sit and wait for their owners to start on their construction, usually retirement. Some never made it and were duly sold on to a new owner. Such is the case of the engine pictured below.

This specimen was built perhaps 20 years ago, original purchaser Unknown. Complete but missing the hot tube burner and Brass number plate.

It was spotted on eBay a week ago by Andy ( Chipmaster ) I contacted the seller to ask of its origins, the reply was that it had been a third party sale and nothing was known of the original buyer.

I was amazed at the finishing bid, it had stood just over the £1000.00 mark right up to the close. Time to reappraise our insurance values?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: A new high?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:41 PM »
 :o   

:pinkelephant: I'll never see those castings now  :ShakeHead:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:40:08 PM »
From the postings on your FB page and the small engines one it does seem to be a popular model and with more than one person wanting one built or just castings the price is bound to go up.

You will have to work on him Jo so that he lets you build them up, it's an enjoyable one to do and I don't think you have tried a hot tube or epicyclic gearbox yet. Now summer seems to be over you may be able to get a bit more workshop time in ;)

Offline scalemodel

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 09:48:32 PM »
Yes I saw this engine i think the lock down has made people do strange things on ebay, if the buyer hasn't got any machine tools it's going to cost quite a bit to get that running keyways for a start off.

What I find strange was that there was a Gardner on ebay after months ago and it only made £100 pound more.

I know where there is quire afew model engines for sale including a Robinson and Gardner I will have to point this out to them

Jonathan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal