Author Topic: New member  (Read 953 times)

Offline Markd

« on: June 17, 2021, 12:55:00 AM »
Hello All,
I have always been fascinated by steam power and am now being drawn into model engineering.

I have a twin cylinder steam engine with a boiler (passed onto me from my father) that has not been steamed in  my lifetime (59 years).

My aim is to get the engine and boiler back to operational condition ( and boiler safety standards) and run under steam. Currently I do not have a lathe or mill ( I am more of a woodworker) and am joining a model engineering society in my city.

I look forward to learning from the knowledge on this forum as I restore the engine and boiler.

Mark

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 01:14:43 AM »
Hi Mark welcome to MEM! Lots of knowledgeable folks here, I sure someone will be able to help you.

Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 01:25:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mark!
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 05:24:58 AM »
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum!
Good luck restoring that engine.
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

I have a steam plant of similar vintage, inherited from an uncle.  I must confess that I did steam it up when a lot younger and probably also nearly 60 years ago.  The engine runs nicely on air, and will be run on steam in the near(?) future.

I would suggest that you work first on the engine.  Without a lathe or mill it will take some ingenuity to remake any badly worn parts, but with any luck, carefully stripping it down, cleaning and oiling, and carefully reassembly will get that working.  You can test it on air if you have a small compressor, or have a friend who can help, or perhaps at the club.  You will be able to buy a few fittings to help you connect it up.  Realistically, it has probably not run a lot, so there is probably not much wear.  Do buy a little set of appropriate spanners.  Don’t wreck the fasteners with pliers or adjustable wrenches. 

The boiler is more problematic, as there are significant safety risks if the boiler has deteriorated.  I suggest that for the moment, you stick with polishing that copper and the brass fittings, it will come up beautifully, and as it has considerable sentimental value to you.  Maintain it as part of the display until you have more understanding of the issues.  It should be relatively easy to disguise the fact that the air is not connected to the boiler.  When you get to know the boiler inspector in your club, you will be able to get a reliable assessment of the boiler condition, and what will need to be done to get it working if that is indeed possible.  But in any case, keep it, and polish it as part of your display.

Good luck with a great project, and an adventure in learning a new hobby ahead of you.

MJM460

Ps - I see the project has overtaken me in your other thread.  But you get the general idea.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:18:09 PM by MJM460 »
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: I am not a steam person however there will be plenty on here who can help you.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal