Author Topic: Did I realy do that?  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Did I realy do that?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »
They say that experience only comes with time and that this experience allows you to make silly mistakes with total confidence.  :old:

:lolb:

Offline Tom1948

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 02:14:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing. If you are like me you call yourself some bad names when that happens. 

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »
 :embarassed:

I've done worse...machined a fixture the other day here at work, clamping a 4" pipe in a vise rather than toe clamping it down securely (bah, that will take too long = famous last words).  0.5 inch carbide endmill went bang when the part slipped up out of the vise jaws.  Luckily nothing injured other than the idiot engineer's pride.

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:29 PM »
Working in my workshop late one evening and getting more frustrated at not getting things right I threw my welding hammer down on the bench. It bounced and the pointy end punctured a small disposable gas bottle. I stopped and went indoors. Later, asleep in bed a pneumatic road breaker started up outside my bedroom window. I went down to see the gas board digging up my neighbours drive to look for the gas leak he reported earlier. I didn't have the nerve to tell them what had happened.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 09:22:29 PM »

the gas board digging up my neighbours drive to look for the gas leak he reported earlier. I didn't have the nerve to tell them what had happened.

Ha ha, Nice one, probably best to keep quite....... for ever.     It was not me, I was not there, I dont know what you are talking about.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
THAT'LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME......Said no one ..... :lolb:

Thanks for sharing that Mike

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 10:17:26 PM »
I have to own up to wondering why my chain saw was not cutting very well the other day with its newly sharpened chain, when I put the chain back on the right way round the saw cut just like a real one..................

Chris.   :facepalm:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2021, 02:09:57 AM »
Chainsaw story - a neighbour brought one by my workshop, he bought it at a yard sale after seeing it run. When he went to use it, he couldn't start it.  :thinking: I get out my Sherlock Holmes pipe and magnifying glass and begin a high level inspection. Spark, yep. Compression, yep. Fuel - oopsy. :facepalm:

He had filled the gas tank with chain oil and the chain oil tank with 2 stroke gas / oil mix. Was a heck of a job to get all that sticky red goop out of the fuel system. I didn't do the Nicholas Cage style flaming chain stunt though, I did the boring approach and put oil back in the chain oil tank.

After gentle chastisement re the error of his ways  :slap: he's been getting along great with it and still has both legs. (for now)  :o   :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 02:18:49 AM »
One other event that comes to mind was a dumb one I did working on an old Suzuki Sidekick car we had. I was patching rust holes with sheetmetal, pop rivets and roofing tar (automotive breakfast of champions in road salt zones). There I was, drilling up through the inner fender tub, seemed to be taking a while.....then battery acid started pouring down the drill bit!  :facepalm: Yep, I hit a gusher, drilled right into the bottom of the battery! Still can't believe I did that! (and the good wife reminds me about it whenever I have a drill in my hand!)  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2021, 03:36:03 AM »
Note to self: stay away from anyone on this forum....   :Lol:    (this says the guy who had a wing cutter come loose in the router at 30K RPM and bounce off the table, and my chest)   :shrug:

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 03:57:55 AM »
I've seen circular saw blades in backwards, this is a new one!
yep done that and wore the t shirt.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
I tried one of those "Teach yourself Welding at Home" courses.

I didn't get very far

Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
Groan  :)  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
I find that sort of disc is really slow cutting steel......and hard to read when spinning  :Lol:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
My EMCO VMC CNC mill is over thirty years old, I have been using it most days for the last ten years.

Until today, the table was completely unmarked and pristine.

That was until today :Mad:
I am sure I pressed the 'Tool touch-off button" to zero the tool height The mill was not so sure and gouged this hole in the table.  Dont you just love it when the computer decides it knows best :killcomputer:

For now, I have filled the hole with JB Weld epoxy and will file it smooth to the table surface when it has fully cured for a couple of days

Mike
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:26:13 PM by Vixen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal