Author Topic: A Lovely Monosoupape Engine  (Read 2269 times)

Offline simplyloco

A Lovely Monosoupape Engine
« on: May 25, 2021, 12:49:59 PM »
This is currently for sale in the UK. I have to admit that I'd never heard of this type of engine before: it seems to be a cross between a four and a two stroke engine? Anyone built one?
John
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/7-cylinder-monosoupape-rotary-engine-stock-code-9328/
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: A Lovely Monosoupape Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »
Les Chenery published a design for one as did Stephen Wessel for a 9cyl, Guy on HMEM possibly going to do some castings for the Chenery crankcase if anyone fancies a go.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
Les Chenery published a design for one as did Stephen Wessel for a 9cyl, Guy on HMEM possibly going to do some castings for the Chenery crankcase if anyone fancies a go.

Thanks for the info Jason. I may be getting dotty in my old age but I reckon most if not all of that could be fabricated. What do you think?
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:07:26 PM »
The Chenery one only had one casting for the crankcase which could probably be hacked from solid. The other design just had the crankcase done in steel with the cylinder bases silver soldered to a ring. So as you say ideal for those that like doing it that way, Should keep you out of mischief once the beam is finished :stickpoke:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 06:51:11 PM »
The Chenery one only had one casting for the crankcase which could probably be hacked from solid. The other design just had the crankcase done in steel with the cylinder bases silver soldered to a ring. So as you say ideal for those that like doing it that way, Should keep you out of mischief once the beam is finished :stickpoke:

It's an idea! Could you point me in the right design drawing directions?
Thanks
John

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 06:59:28 PM »
Les's son still sells the drawings, not sure of contact details but Jo or Mike may know.

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 08:31:18 PM »
John - Having built a 1/4 scale Mono from Stephen Wessel's 1/3 scale drawings I can vouch for the quality, accuracy and completeness of his drawings.  They are a work of art and with the engine being fabricated from steel (for the most part) has a very nice, prototypical appearance.  Well worth a look if you are interested in a Monosoupape.
Charlie
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:37:07 PM by cwelkie »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 09:37:14 PM »
John - Having built a 1/4 scale Mono from Stephen Wessel's 1/3 scale drawings I can vouch for the quality, accuracy and completeness of his drawings.  They are a work of art and with the engine being fabricated from steel (for the most part) has a very nice, prototypical appearance.  Well worth a look if you are interested in a Monosoupape.
Charlie
Very nice, and I am tempted! I'll take a look.
John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 01:16:28 AM »
That's a beautiful engine Charlie!

Dave

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
Hi John,
 There’s a guy here in NZ who was building one, I saw the parts back in the 80’s. I haven’t seen him for some time so not sure we’re he is with it.
 He had done a lot of research into it prior to & during the building. I hope he finished it as he was a great machinist. 

Hi Charlie,
 Would love to hear your engine run! Nice work.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »
Hi John,
 There’s a guy here in NZ who was building one, I saw the parts back in the 80’s. I haven’t seen him for some time so not sure we’re he is with it.
 He had done a lot of research into it prior to & during the building. I hope he finished it as he was a great machinist. 
SNIP
Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin, I've made boats, planes, steam engines and locos, but never an I.C. engine. If I take it on I hope I can do it justice!
John

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
Thanks Dave
Kerrin - here is a link to a brief video of it running.  I was messing about with the fuel control (a variable speed fuel pump supplying the crankcase line).  It settled into a nice run just before running out of fuel - the whining at the end is the 'dry' fuel pump.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/4Lpn0XdHIJc[/youtube1]

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »
Thanks Dave
Kerrin - here is a link to a brief video of it running.  I was messing about with the fuel control (a variable speed fuel pump supplying the crankcase line).  It settled into a nice run just before running out of fuel - the whining at the end is the 'dry' fuel pump.

WOW! I'm suddenly more motivated!
John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
Hi Charlie,
 Very nice! There’s something about radials.

Mind you 4 Merlins (full size) running do take a bit of beating!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 01:58:21 PM »
I know what you mean Kerrin ...  I've long reckoned that if even a single Merlin on close flyby doesn't give you "goose bumps/flesh" - you're probably dead.
Cheers
Charlie

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »
Hi Charlie,
 Not quite 2 years ago we were in Nanton, at the Canadian Bomber Command Museum , 930 at night, they had rolled there Lancaster out onto the pad out front....this museum is in the middle of town, at the appointed time, turned out the lights, over the load speakers the crew ran thru the startup procedure, then 1 by 1 fired her up! When all 4 engines were running, lights on! 15 minutes of lovely music! I videoed the lot!
If you get a chance a day out is worth a visit! We were staying with our son north of Calgary, 250k round trip, worth every minute!

Cheers Kerrin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal