Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Advanced 3D CAM and 3D machining

(1/9) > >>

Vixen:
Edit Jo: This thread has been extracted from the Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale as it started to get into detailed (and important) CNC stuff

--- Quote from: tvoght on May 10, 2021, 07:54:03 PM ---The work is incredible. This sump part really catches the imagination for what is possible.

estlCAM is also Windows software, but you  say (or at least imply) that you are using estlCAM on Linux. I have searched about and it seems many people have had success using it with Linux Wine emulation. Is that true in your case?

--Tim

--- End quote ---

Hello Tim,

Sorry if I have mislead you. All my machine tools in the workshop have a dedicated LinuxCNC PC driving them. I maintain an ancient 32 bit Win XP PC in the office to run AutoCAD, DesKAM and EstlCAM and to access this forum

Mike

tvoght:
Oh, ok.
Nevertheless, if I can get estlCAM to run on Linux (and it's apparently quite possible) I think I'll give it a try for g-code generation since it's quite affordable and the results (your results) are great.
--Tim

Hugh Currin:
Mike:

Were you able to use a CAM program directly for the Woodruff Key cutter? Or draw special path lines to follow, maybe even hand code those paths? It sounds to me like a hard thing to do, either being real careful with the plunge and entry clearances or hours verifying hand code. Do you have a simulator to verify G-code?

The part looks amazing and way beyond my capabilities. Thanks for posting the build.

Vixen:
Hello Hugh,

Most, if not all, CAM programs assume the milling cutter to be cylindrical. However, you can still enter the diameter of the Woodruff cutter or slitting saw to create a tool path, which will then need some manual editing. It is essential that you take control of the z movement positions; the vertical moves must re-positioned be well clear of the material. You will have noticed I  hack sawed off a lot of the excess material on the sides of the sump. This gave space for the Woodruff cuter to descend into.

For the tool path, I again used EstleCAM in the peel mode. I set the step over depth of cut to something like 0.5 mm (I cannot remember precisely what I used) to reduce the contact length of the cutting edge of the Woodruff cutter. This is part of the tool path it produced for the top fin. There was plenty of table movement and machining of fresh air for the small amount of material removed. Each fin took about 1 hour to finish. There may well have been a more efficient way to cut the fins but this worked for me.

Mike

fumopuc:
Hi Mike, very impressive.
I am sure it took some hours of virtual milling before you are feeling safe to press the start button of each tool path at the machine.

So it would be if I would try it.
Very nice result so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version