Author Topic: True Engineering Skill  (Read 2591 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: True Engineering Skill
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 11:52:13 PM »
But the most important factor to find a really good machinist is to find one that does machining at home....

Which is why, when I was a Research Engineer in a University setting, I used to always ask about hobbies when interviewing prospective hires. And not just potential machinists, the idea applies to many skill sets. When I moved into a corporate setting, the HR people told me in no uncertain terms that those questions were not allowed. Something about violating Equal Opportunity laws in ways I never could understand.
Regards,
Ron

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 12:58:13 AM »
... I was a problem solver , most people I have worked with were 'fellow workers" and "don't get paid ! " to solve problems when you ask them....in my experience. There was no such word as 'Can't" in my vocabulary . my employers knew it and took advantage , which was fine ....
I'm a different kind of engineer (software), but some principles are universal.
The guy who doesn't know the word "Can't" ends up with a lot of tough assignments. In other words, he is never bored. He always has interesting things on his plate. Oh sure, some of the tasks are real stinkers with no real solution, but when he gives it his best shot and fails, he's recognized for the attempt instead of being given a demerit.

The "don't get paid for that" guys get all the boring drudge work.

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 01:05:15 AM »
... I was a problem solver , most people I have worked with were 'fellow workers" and "don't get paid ! " to solve problems when you ask them....in my experience. There was no such word as 'Can't" in my vocabulary . my employers knew it and took advantage , which was fine ....
I'm a different kind of engineer (software), but some principles are universal.
The guy who doesn't know the word "Can't" ends up with a lot of tough assignments. In other words, he is never bored. He always has interesting things on his plate. Oh sure, some of the tasks are real stinkers with no real solution, but when he gives it his best shot and fails, he's recognized for the attempt instead of being given a demerit.

The "don't get paid for that" guys get all the boring drudge work.

--Tim
The "don't" guys usually wind up getting laid off too, after they get known for not jumping in wherever needed. I outlasted a lot of them over the years.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:26 AM »
I've mentioned before that I was a general management consultant for over 20 years. I've sat in front of people who were earning more than I was (and I was quite well paid), and when I asked "Why don't you do it like this?" the answer was often "I'm not paid to think". I didn't let on that my role was that of the grim reaper...
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline GordonL

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »
I actually wonder what is going to happen to innovation and actual talent in the coming years. I see "designers" using CAD like it is a computer game. If they were actually presented with a 2D drawing they would not be able to interpret it and actually visualize the part. Animation of the assembly has a place but if you do not understand the basic design the world is in trouble. Many of the "machinists" could not actually produce a part on a manual machine. I have seen too many "welders" who could not actually weld if the operation changed or the machine required a different setting or a different operation.

Most of the hobbyist are working on equipment that is years old and too worn out to be used in manufacturing. Look at what is being produced by hobbyist working out of a very limited space with machines which have be operated to compensate for the lack of precision.

Some of the best designers, welders and machinist that I worked with over the years never had advanced education or any special training beyond the school of hard knocks and natural ability were just too dumb to know that it could not be done.     

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »
Well, I'd best not quit my job because I must work in paradise, going by what I'm reading here. My company has extremely talented machinists, welders and fabricators. I'm principal engineer here, and I frequently work with the teams out in the shop, to the point where they call me for help, and I call on them for help. We make extremely complicated weldments - huge and complex things with tight tolerances that make the mind boggle some days. The equipment we have is impressive. We make things like these:

I designed the bottom one, and bid out the top one. I bid the bottom one as well in fact.

I work with a good group of young guys who are very keen, and seem willing to take direction. Well, not always, but they have to try things as well. We make vessels and equipment for use in food, pharma, industrial applications, boilers and pressure vessels and vacuum physics applications. I mostly work in the vacuum segment - I've been in plasma physics all my life. Mostly in processing, but now in fabrication of chambers and equipment. It's fascinating stuff. I've designed and helped build a couple of quite nice cryogenic pressure vessels for liquid helium and xenon, among other things.

Anyway I have it pretty good. I get on with everyone and they give me great advice, making our projects a success. I recommend it as a working approach.

Plus one of our ASME welders is going to come and get me started in welding, and the machinists give me set up tips, and don't even laugh too hard at my fumbling attempts. I think they may take some small comfort from knowing I try things. I don't know.

Despite all that, and while I have a fascinating project to work on, I'm dreaming about making some small tap handles this weekend.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »
Propforward, those are some complex and well made parts, sounds like you are on a great team, not one of the Them And Us places.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
It's a really great place. It has its quirks for sure, but we have a lot of adventures. I stumbled upon this job quite by chance, but it has been a really interesting change in direction, while still being tied to work I did previously.

Plus look at those machines! So much fun.

Stuart

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2021, 04:53:27 PM »
It's always interesting to me to see the stich weld outside and the full weld inside for vacuum chambers. Very recognisable (I work with particle accelerators for my day job)  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 07:57:57 PM »
Excellent! We make a lot of cryostats and beamline components.
Stuart

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »
What I used to hate, absolutely hate with a passion, in my engineering management days was the "it can't be done because" attitude, usually meaning they couldn't see how it could work and didn't want to make an effort and try, or the standby was " we tried that xxx years ago and it didn't work then....", or similar.  Got so bad that it came to pass that whenever I wanted a new way of doing something or building something or running something I had to sit down and work out all the answers to "why it can't be done" to make them realise not only it could be done but it jolly well would be done and because I said so and my word was final.

Interesting comment that reflects on "we tried that so many years ago and it didn't work" was from the guy who designed the Mazda MX5, he wanted the sort of lights that the Mk4 has got for the Mk1, but the lighting technology back in the 1980's wasn't there to do it then.  Imagine if the Mk4 designer had been hit with " it can't be done because we tried that and couldn't do that for the Mk1 therefore...." - I wonder what he might have said.

Chris

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 09:15:17 PM »
Completely agree Chris. It's always a good idea to revisit a technique - some new factor may make things that didn't work some time ago very viable now. I am lucky in that our chief programmer is very talented. He can be a character let's say, and he tends to start off by saying "I don't see how that will work", but then comes up with such inventive solutions to problems that are just a joy to behold. Takes all sorts for sure, but yes that "can't be done" does get aggravating. Like I say, I work in a place where there isn't much of that. I tend to hear "perhaps not that way, what about this way?" rather than "can't" or "won't". It is very rewarding and refreshing.
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal