General Category > Chatterbox

True Engineering Skill

(1/6) > >>

JonC:
Hi all,

I'm not bothered about replies although, of they are very welcome.

As a 58 year old engineer running an oil & gas machine shop (reminds me of the joke "how do you get to run a small engineering company ?...… buy  big one and wait 5 years !!!) I would just like to say that what I see on this site in terms of everyone achievements is absolutely outstanding and a tribute to the profession.
I have employees who have worked for the company for fifty years right through to apprentices, both qualified and new and you guys n girls could wipe the floor with them.
difference being, you work with what you have and find a way to produce what's needed given the constraints vs the easy life of can't do it/ haven't got it etc etc which I constantly face.
Well done everyone, you probably have been and continue to be inspirational to those who are trying to produce the very best in manufacturing. I wish I had a shop full of you all.
PS this does make me wonder whether we are missing a trick by not involving all your knowledge into the present day ?

Jon

simplyloco:
Hi Jon. Appreciate your sentiments. Us model engineers like what we do, unlike many shop machinists!.
John
Ex shop machinist and ex factory MD...

JonC:
Hi John,

I think you've summed it up right there, we like (love?) what we do.

for so many it's become a lot less than that and I constantly get told that Tesco pay only a little less for stacking shelves which I agree seems ridiculous but where's the pride in making precision parts?

Jon

pgp001:
I fully get where you are coming from with this.

I work as a design engineer in a manufacturing company, and I have a steady flow of machinists and fitters coming in to the office telling me that they "cannot" do something that has been designed.
In reality what they mean is they "cannot be bothered" to do it because they might have to do a bit of work for a change.
Our machinist has some really nice semi CNC lathes and milling machines etc, and he gets a bit miffed when I go down there to show him how to do his job.

Glad I am now counting the weeks up to retirement, I have had my fill of it now after 33 years.  :ThumbsUp:

Where in N Yorks are you by the way, I am just over the border in W Yorks.

Phil

Jo:

--- Quote from: JonC on May 07, 2021, 10:40:12 PM ---this does make me wonder whether we are missing a trick by not involving all your knowledge into the present day ?

--- End quote ---

I am a retired Systems Architect/Engineer the customer (MoD) had no money to do design/development work for new stuff so I was offered early retirement 16 years earlier than I could otherwise get it, what could I say  :shrug:

--- Quote from: pgp001 on May 08, 2021, 10:47:04 AM ---Glad I am now counting the weeks up to retirement, I have had my fill of it now after 33 years.  :ThumbsUp:

--- End quote ---

Make the most of it once you are retired you won't have any spare time  :ShakeHead:

Jo

P.S. the only time I was ever taught anything about machining was the one week we had in the mechanical workshop as an electronics Apprentice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version