Author Topic: Picture Size  (Read 862 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Picture Size
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »
I love seeing everyone's projects. And pictures really add to the descriptions. However, will everyone please reduce the size of images before posting. I'm currently using a cell phone for Internet access and downloading large images is slow and eats up costly data.

Thank you.
Hugh

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Picture Size
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 03:57:19 PM »
I've been trying to keep all my pictures down to 800 by 600 for just that reason  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »
Yes indeed - I have done that for a long time. Anyone on windows 10 can install their "powertoys" app which makes shrinking images easy. There are lots of other good, free, resizing programs as well, which make it easy to shrink file size without losing a lot of resolution.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
I'm trying to do my bit as well, to keep all my images to below 800 x 600.

I am using a free downloadable program called FastStone Photo Resizer to do the image reduction for me.

I then upload the reduced size images to the Coppermine host site (generously provided by Ade)

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline EricB

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
Noted.

I always crop and reduce the size but I haven't paid attention to the final dimensions.

The message board only limits the size to 1024 KB. That's a huge picture. The largest picture I've posted was 202 KB. It's below the size limit but still higher resolution than your phone. Perhaps you could look into a different internet connection.

Eric
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:11:22 PM by EricB »

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
Most posters are courteous regarding image size and I/we appreciate this. I'm sure the problem comes from posting a camera or phone image without resizing. Those can get really big and not add much info over a smaller image.

Perhaps you could look into a different internet connection.

Eric

Eric: I am using my phone tethered to my computer, so posts are on a larger screen at least. No problem there. As for a better Internet Provider, that's another can of worms. We travel maybe 6 months a year (although 2020 was upside down) so have no fixed address. We can get good cable Internet in Prescott where our house is but we're only here 2-3 months a year. $60/mo is steep for this short time. Winter digs in Salome, AZ (4-5 months) has slow WiFi and no faster service is available. Thus, much of the time we're depending on cell service. If you have good fast Internet be thankful, it's not a given.

Thank you all.
Hugh

Offline EricB

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »
Bandwidth is always an issue wherever you are, that's why I block all the advertising I possibly can. I don't even know if this site has advertising on it, but if it does that makes a big difference in load times and data usage.

Eric

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal