Engines > Your Own Design

Ringbom 1: Tim's Ringbom Stirling Engine Build

(1/7) > >>

tvoght:
A few days ago I showed a video of my Ringbom Stirling engine "Ringbom 1" running. I thought then that I might not do a build log, but I have reconsidered. I have a lot of build photos for some parts, but I imagine some parts will have little or no photos. I'll do the best I can.

Before you make any comments about how fast the build is going, remember the engine was essentially complete 3 years ago. I'll put this photo here as a reminder:

I'm going to attach a .pdf drawing with the log of each part.
Here we go!

--Tim

tvoght:
The power cylinder and cylinder head were made first. They are of cast iron. The horizontal bandsaw was used to slice off pieces to arrive at stock closer to the finished shape.
The various slabs went into the junk box for future projects.

The larger piece just above the part numbered 1 was to become the cylinder head. Here it's shown in the 4-jaw having a boss turned which will extend into the cylinder bore.

Then excess was sawed off creating more scrap box fodder. Focus!

The flange portion was then milled to thickness.

Now with the main cylinder stock placed in the mill vice, the mating flange to the cooler was cut. Since the sides being clamped are not parallel after the sawing operation, A sheet of paper was folded into multiple layers and placed between the movable jaw and the part to take up slack.

With the broad milled side as starting reference, The other surfaces of the cylinder block were milled.

The cylinder block then went to the lathe for drilling and boring.
It seems there is no documentary evidence of the boring.

Back at the mill, the head was temporarily super-glued to the cylinder for placement of mounting holes.

The head flange and cylinder werre drilled to depth with a 4-40 tapping drill, then only through the head flange for clearance. Finally the cylinder was tapped with the head still in place since the tap cleared the clearance holes in the head. A screw was placed before proceeding, and the remaining holes were done in a similar way.

The cooler mounting face previously cut for reference was then cut to final dimension with a face mill for a decent sealing finish.

Mounting holes for the cooler were drilled through, and then the port hole cooler-to-cylinder was drilled through to the bore.

The next cuts are decorative to give the cylinder some character.

And that's about it for the cylinder and head (until the bore is lapped).

crueby:
Not seeing any pictures here...

RReid:
I'm seeing the pictures.

tvoght:
Picture are seen on Firefox browser and not Chrome. I just checked an old build of mine and the pictures aren't showing there either. Something has changed.   --Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version