Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Protractor base for grinder mounted on cross-slide

(1/4) > >>

Brian Rupnow:
I have ordered a toolpost grinder from Little Machine Shop that doesn't really mount to the toolpost. It mounts to the cross-slide. Somewhere in all of my searching for toolpost grinders I seen where someone had mounted a protractor base which sets between the cross-slide and the grinder so the grinder could be set at any desired angle. Of course now I can't find it. Does anybody have a link to that?---Brian

crueby:
This guy shows one he made, halfway down the page, looks easy to do.
https://www.micro-machine-shop.com/tool_post_grinder.htm

Brian Rupnow:
Thank you Chris---That's the one I was looking for.---Brian

Brian Rupnow:
I am rapidly losing faith about getting a small heat treat oven, however my toolpost grinder (which doesn't actually fit on a toolpost, but instead bolts to the cross slide) just arrived as I was posting this. I have created a 3D model of my lathe, and will also create a model of the grinder, and then see what is involved with making a new, very shallow topslide that can fit between the grinder and the cross-slide so that the grinder can also be "set over" to grind a taper.

Brian Rupnow:
Here we have a 3D model of my lathe with a 3D model of the new grinder from Little Machine Shop. There is about 1 1/4" vertical clearance between the underside of the grinder base and the top of my cross slide when the center of the lathe chuck is horizontal with the centerline of the grinder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version