Author Topic: Coles C-611  (Read 16532 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Coles C-611
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2021, 07:50:56 AM »
Did you spot-face the holes?

No, because the rear holes are too close to the cylinder mounting to be able to get a big enough cutter in to face them. The top surfaces are flat enough for now, once I have repaired that damaged lug I will have another look at them and decide if I want to use a pull cutter to face them  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
I want to mount the Soleplate on the Milling machine vertically so I can machine the end face. So First I have to remove the small vice mounted on the bed:

Then we need to mount up an angle plate (I am using an old box from a shaper) nice and square which is big enough to mount the jig on:

The jig is safely clamped on with it the casting. Our reference surfaces is now the jig not the casting  ;)

A minimal skim across the top with a flycutter or face mill:

As I forgot to do it before facing I now use a wobbler to find the centre line of the jig and hence the centre of the casting and use the front of the jig to give me the bottom measurement of the casting:

At this point I compared the casting with the front cylinder casting and began to get suspicious, so when back to examine the very fuzzy shot of the drawings I have:

:thinking: That black arrow seems to be pointing to a thread all the way through the casting, there is also a boss sticking inwards as if it should go into the cylinder  :headscratch: So lets look at the photo:

:o That doesn't seem to have an inner cover. I like a challenge I will try machining it to what I think the drawing says as I am going for originality  :noidea:

Beginners please look away now: you should be machining the outside and boring for the inner cover I will be bodging attempting to follow the original drawing however much I think it is not a good idea  :headscratch:

Jo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:53:54 PM by Jo »

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
Hi Jo, good to see you back at machining.  Thanks for taking the time to explain these processes in detail.

I am learning a lot about what I should have done on the current model.  All useful for the next one.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
I did not want to say earlier for fear of saying negative things but thought that the gland that you showed would be short. My thoughts are that the black arrow is pointing to a much longer bush that will allow easy access to a gland nut on it's end rather than a short one burried within the frames flange.

And yes I thought I could see a boss to locate within the cylinder, looks like a big angle plate on the Colchester's faceplate or boring & facing head will be needed

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
Looking a bit more I would say your black arrow points to the part further up the drawing and the red arrow is pointing to the gland nut. Bush would probably have originally been a press fit but Loctite would be easier now unless you really want to stick with originality. That e-bay photo only shows one cover casting so another thing pointing to no back cover.

Valve chest looks like it would have a smaller version of the same

Not to all beginners, read and understand the drawings before cutting metal or if no drawings sort the design out first ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:36:45 PM by Jasonb »

Offline iRon

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 01:46:22 PM »
I am enjoying this thread, Jo. I like the photographs of your workshop and machines - envy!

Ron

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 03:53:42 PM »
Thank you Ron and MJM  :)

My workshop has been built up over the many years and my preference to spending money on going abroad on holiday each year :)

Not to all beginners, read and understand the drawings before cutting metal or if no drawings sort the design out first ;)

It took to only page 3 for the first criticism  :disappointed:

I already have the design for the gland arrangement: If the phone had not gone and the nice man from Waitrose had not delivered my groceries  :P  I would have completed it today  ::) Instead I have other priorities for the rest of today.

Jo

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 03:58:30 PM by Jo »

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
Awwww, "pay no attention to that person behind the curtain, Dorothy"   :stir:  Lol!! You just continue on with your photos and essay of what you are doing. Many among us flying monkeys are enjoying the ride.  :popcorn: :wine1:

BC1
Jim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 06:10:30 PM »
 :headscratch: Is that stuff you have been smoking legal?

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 06:20:09 PM »

Jo
Have to be a Wizard of Oz fan to get his references I guess.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
Hi Jo
I've just caught up with this thread.  As others have said it's great to see you posting again, you've been much missed.
I will now be following this for sure as I'm running out of engines to make from bar stock and I have not been very successful with castings in the past so this "beginners" introduction to working castings will be invaluable.
The only thing you seem to have missed out is how to go about the castings fondling process. :shrug:
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 07:44:00 PM »

Jo

No, prolly not, why? You wanna buy some? Lol!! 

Actually, I was inferring to merely ignoring the as-termed "criticism" (suggestions from an out-of-sight friend(?) and continuing on with enlightening us, "flying monkeys" (MEM members) with what appears to be an interesting project. Yes, these seemingly delirious ramblings were veiled references to the classic film "The Wizard of OZ". I am sorry and will go back to being a Munchkin now.  :lolb:

BC1
Jim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 11:54:45 PM »
Hi Jo good to see a new model on the go and quite an unusual gland nut arrangement !  and talking about Gnats whiskers, is it the length or the width !!!  will be following along and I like the photos showing all your workshop machinery

Cheers
Willy

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »
Thanks Jim and Willy,

Time to decide the height of the cylinder relative to the soleplate: Without any drawings I have guessed it is supposed to be a whole fraction value so 1 5/8" so that is 41.3mm in modern measurements. I have positioned the boring head in the correct position and am rotating it round to see if the arc it covers looks about right:

Once I am happy about that we need consider the other side i.e. is it going to sit in the middle of the boss and how does its position look relative to the bearing surfaces etc. So we are going to drill a small hole - not too small because as I have mentioned small drills can wander in deep holes   ::) I am using a 3.18mm stubby drill - the stubby means there is less of the drill hanging out of the chuck so it is less likely to wander around.

Lets see what it looks like on the other side:

That looks ok and the reason why it came out right is we centred the casting on a jig and we centred the quill on the jig  ;)

Now we can drill and tap for the bronze bush that is going to guide the piston rod:

And having screwed the bush in check with the nut if everything still looks ok:

Before securing it in place using loctite:

The loctite needs 24 hours to set hard before we continue.

Jo

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:54:31 PM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
I can tell you were all speechless about how well that came out  ::)

It has had long enough to harden so we can continue... The piston rod hole was first centre drilled, then taken out in steps before finally reaming:

Then we need to turn the outside of the cylinder mounting area to the correct diameter. This means we need to mount up a suitable boring head and go round the outside. Normally we bore things out which means we cut on the outside and the cutter goes clockwise but this time we are taking things down so we are cutting on the inside of the tool so we need to cut anti-clockwise so don't forget to reverse your milling machine's direction. The other thing we need to be aware of is the fillet between the mounting area and the main sole plate at the front - it will be a bigger diameter than the mount so beware of it:

Moving across on the cylinder mount you can see that the cylinder is not going to be central to the existing curve of the casting - it has moved over slightly to make it align with the crank/guide line:

Using the vertical movement to take the cut I have milled 6.8mm depth at the correct diameter:

And now we need to cut the spigot that will go into the cylinder. As Jason was so excited the other day about me having an opportunity to get my facing head out I will confirm I did use my facing head:

But it can also be done in the traditional manner of any other boring: adjust the head take another cut, adjust etc, etc. We are effectively taking the same cut on the mill that we did on the covers in the lathe you can either cut material off going in or across, you get to the same place in the end  ::)

We need the same tight but not too tight fit on the cylinder:

Now for some excitement  :paranoia:

Jo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:54:57 PM by Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal