Author Topic: Elmer's Grasshopper  (Read 6088 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Elmer's Grasshopper
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 11:43:39 PM »
Thanks Joe. Taig part #1221.

Thanks for the help Chris. I'll check out PostImage.
Regards,
Ron

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 01:40:21 AM »
Hi, as have an Apple I take the photos on my SD card ..then import them and after editing them I file them into " Documents" and then they will come up when I press "Attachments"....
Willy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 12:46:35 AM »
The links that connect the beam to the fixed vertical column are simple, but also pretty plain as drawn. I thought I'd add a relief to them similar those in the beam itself, to spiff them a little.

I clamped a piece of scrap ali to the mill table and drilled it to match the holes in the links.

That way I could mount the links over pins and be sure the cutting is uniformly in line each time.

I think the result looks much better.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:51:39 PM by RReid »
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
To avoid potential confusion with the "other" Ron on the forum, iRon, who has been here longer than me, I have changed my signature to Ronald.
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 04:57:10 PM »
I like the extra details in the sides, adds a lot.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 01:25:25 AM »
There is a great combination hardware story, pipe and metal supply, and salvage yard in one of the neighboring towns near me. The salvage yard is the main draw for me. It covers several acres and is an absolute scrounger's delight. Unlike many such places it is somewhat organized, much of the stock is on shelves inside open sheds, and you are free to wander all you want. Like a good bakery or sweet shop, it's probably just as well that it is not quite close enough for me to just casually “pop in for a look around” whenever I want.

I went down there the other day looking for potential stock for the Grasshoppers flywheel, which should be at least 3” x 1/2”  (76x13mm) and found a 3” cast iron caster wheel. The diameter is just right, but it's too wide and has a worn out ½ inch bore where I need a ¼ inch bore. Perfect! I also picked up a slightly larger piece with “future project” written all over it.

Since the a 3” diameter won't clear my cross slide I had to reach across with a right cutting tool to reduce the width. I cut back the first side chucked on the OD, as well as skimmed the OD and trued up the hub.

Then I turned it around, chucking on the hub, and brought it to the final width. The hub on that side was shortened to be flush with the outer edge of the wheel, and the bore opened up to 9/16” (14mm) for a sleeve I made from steel rod.

A few pictures of the end product. That extended hub looks the business for a flat belt PTO, and I left most of the “meat” on in case I want to reduce the diameter or cut a groove for a v-belt or o-ring later. I know the wheel  should really be spoked, but I'll wait until I acquire a proper rotary table to do that job. At least it looks OK as is.

Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 02:45:22 AM »
Nice find, looks great on the engine. Sounds like a fun toy store, I mean salvage yard!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:…..  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 05:03:25 AM »
Thanks guys. And Chris, thank you for tipping me off to Post Images, that's working well for me.
Regards,
Ron

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
Looks good to me!  No need for spokes... :popcorn:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 12:16:42 AM »
The last couple of days were spent mostly tying up some of the little loose ends that accumulate during a build. The biggest of those was getting the cylinder assembly located, fastened to the base, and connected to the beam. It's fastened to the base with four 5-40 machine screws cut from 3/16 hex brass. When I made that die holder I started to skim the OD, then realized, not having a knurling tool, that it'd probably be easier to grip with the mill finish.

The base was tap-drilled using the already drilled cylinder base as a template. The tap wrench I'm using was my great-grandfather's. The other one shown was also his. I have no idea how old either one is, but they both get lot's of use. I never knew him, he passed before I was born, but I imagine he'd be pleased they're still in use.

Still ahead are the steam chest and all the valve and valve motion parts. Before that though is vaccine jab #2 tomorrow morning.
Regards,
Ron

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 12:22:09 AM »
Looks great Ronald.  You’re getting close.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 01:20:26 AM »
Thanks Bob.

Got a start on the valve related components today. Used my 9” bandsaw to take a slice off a piece of 3/4” square brass (can you tell that's an after the fact staged photo?).

The thin piece will be used to make the steam chest and the big-end of the eccentric strap. The main focus today was to turn that stub of 5/8” mild steel into the eccentric.

That went fine until almost the last step. After skimming the larger diameter, I swung the tool over to chamfer the edge. I made sure the tool was clear of the smaller diameter and started the lathe. At that moment I realized my mistake. The smaller diameter is offset and it's not going to clear for long!
Luckily I switched off almost as soon as I switched on, so the only result is a minor scratch. Whew!

Normally I turn the spindle by hand first to ensure all is clear, but that time I didn't. I was thinking maybe I could report dumb-headedness as an after effect of the second Covid shot, but in reality it's a pre-existing condition.

Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 03:33:58 AM »
The eccentric strap for this engine consists of two parts, a 3/16” big end bored to fit the eccentric, and a 1/16” thick strap that reaches over to connect to the valve rocker. This seemed to be a part that didn't really want to get made. Lots of experimental techniques that didn't yield positive results, i.e. mistakes, goofs, and foul-ups.

The big end started as an oversized rectangular block. This was soldered to a scrap of brass rod to make it easier to hold in the 4 jaw chuck. In the first pic you can see the off center center punch...

used for locating the part in the lathe on the bore center line with the help of my wobble stick...

so it can be drilled and bored...

to fit the eccentric.

Here big end and the strap have been soldered together and the strap portion is being profiled. The center has already been fluted.

Overall it ended up OK, but not my best work ever.

I was happier with the first of two oil cups for the crankshaft bushings I made at the end of the day today. Now I just have to make a second one that matches!

Regards,
Ron

Online joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »
That came out really nice.  I do like the flywheel as well :cheers:

Joe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal