Author Topic: Cooling Tower as used for the IHC Titan 50 HP  (Read 3495 times)

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Cooling Tower as used for the IHC Titan 50 HP
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 06:36:15 AM »
Hi Achim.

Sorry for the delay in replying - saw your posts last night but I am not very good at typing on my tablet. Thanks also for providing the links regarding valve seating.

Re the cooling tower that I made. It is  based on photos and IHC brochures of their offerings. I scaled it up to be in sync with the engine. I used a 5/8" thin wall brass pipe slit in half lengthways and soldered in place at the top of the cooler above the outlet pipe which is peppered with small holes on the lower side. The mesh screen goes over the shield and is bent in such a way as to let any water that flows over the screen to fall into the tank. The outlet from the tank is at the bottom and connects to a pump. I am not sure how the scaling effect will prevent the water from going through the mesh due to its surface tension. An experiment with some antifreeze is in order. What I may need is a liquid that behaves like beer - I may even be forced to use some but am not sure of the resulting smell when heated!

Jeff - now I see where Doug Kelly might have gotten his version of the tank for his model. Thanks for sharing.

Achim - re the preheater. I based it on the tractor engine's system. I haven't yet put in a diverter plate to allow the mixing of the exhaust hot air and ambient but the photo below shows it. On my engine I also used roller tappets as per the second photo.

Good luck with your build.

Geoff

Geoff, thanks for the further pictures  and information, very useful.

Very interesting to hear about these roller tappets. I am curious how it looks like at the model.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline GeoffK

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:50 PM »
Hi Achim.

Here is a shot of the roller tappets I made. Used a 2mm ID x 5mm OD shielded ball bearing.

Geoff

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 02:46:44 AM »
Achim,
I would only use water in an evaporative cooling system. I have a one cylinder engine using an evaporative cooling systm. It runs just fine at the higher temp, but does consume a surprising amount of water. I use 30-70 mix  of ethylene glycol in my Titan and if you are close to the running engine after about 10-15 minutes your nose will detect the sweetness of the glycol from the invisible cooler vapors. I then shut it down for awhile. EG is toxic. We had a woman kill two husbands in our area years ago using EG as a sweetener in their food and drink. Husband number 3 survived her attempts and she was convicted of murder. I would not use EG in an open cooling system unless you can keep the coolant temp below 130F.
Jeff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal