Author Topic: Cooling Tower as used for the IHC Titan 50 HP  (Read 3490 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Cooling Tower as used for the IHC Titan 50 HP
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:04:25 PM »
Hi everybody,
I have started to make the "European Version" of this model engine in CAD, with the, for me necessary, modification of some dimensions.
I know that Jeff (Rustcollector) and Doug Kelley have build a nice cooling tower for their models.
I have found some sketches in the net where the general function is visible but so far no pictures of the internals.
Any suggestions where I have to search for this ?
Would be happy to get an advise.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Rustkolector

Re: Cooling Tower as used for the IHC Titan 50 HP
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 05:30:52 AM »
Achim,
Sent you photos to an old email address I had for you.
Jeff

Offline GeoffK

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:41:46 PM »
Long time lurker here!

Here are some photos of the cooling towers used by IHC. The one on the right is on a 30-60 tractor and is the same engine as the 50HP stationary you are planning to build.

I’m in the debug stage on my rendition of the Doug Kelly design and piston rings and valve seats are not sealing so a rebuild of those items is planned.
I chose the stationary version of the cooling system and used CAD (cardboard aided design) to get the size roughly comparable with the engine.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 07:42:32 PM »
used CAD (cardboard aided design)

I like that!
Regards,
Ron

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 06:29:28 AM »
Achim,
Sent you photos to an old email address I had for you.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, thank you very much.
I have sent you a PM.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
Long time lurker here!

Here are some photos of the cooling towers used by IHC. The one on the right is on a 30-60 tractor and is the same engine as the 50HP stationary you are planning to build.

I’m in the debug stage on my rendition of the Doug Kelly design and piston rings and valve seats are not sealing so a rebuild of those items is planned.
I chose the stationary version of the cooling system and used CAD (cardboard aided design) to get the size roughly comparable with the engine.

Hi Geoff,
thank you very much for the information.
You built a very nice looking model engine there.
I assume, that the function of the cooling tower you have choose for your model and the one at the tractor is not the same.
Some principle function information in the net has shown there a kind of horizontal foam layer in the tower.
This layer is sprayer by two water pipes.
The water will be kept a while in the layer before it will drop into the pan underneath.
That should be exactly the moment when the crossing fresh air will suck the heat out of the water.
Is it the same in this case ?

Concerning your may be valve leakage issue, the tool shown here by Dave could solve your problem.
George Britnell has made a nice drawing/description for it also, If you need the drawing, let me know, please.
Also Brian has shown his drawing here.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:13:19 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
Hi Geoff,
looking at your model again, I have recognized, that there is a detail, which I have seen at the big engine in the part catalog #9 of 1918 also.
There is a connection pipe between the exhaust and the suction pipe.
Was this made to get pre heated air, surrounding the exhaust pipe, as intake air ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:14:16 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
Achim,
The coolers for the Titan tractors appear to have been used on the Titan 50 stationary engine according to the first IH illustration below. Since very few Titan 50's were built IH probably did not design a specific cooler for them. The second photo is the inside of a large Titan 45 cooler which I believe had the same engine as the 30-60.  Hope this helps.
Jeff

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:09:22 AM »
Hi Jeff,
thank you very much for these pictures.
The view into this cooling tower was exactly what I could not find so far.
Here it is visible that no kind of foam layer is in there, as I have expected when seeing the picture below first time.
Does the water fall done straight between this grill  baffles, or will it be sprayed against the grill and flow done along the grill ?
Sorry for these questions, but I have never seen it before and I try to understand the older engineering ideas.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
If you click one of the attachment sin this post over on Smokstak it brings up 12 photos, several of the cooler including a photo from the bottom which may help. Also several other external views throughout the thread. The vertical baffles are most likely there to stop the water sloshing about as the tractor moves on rough ground

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/ihc-titan-type-d-45-hp-asleep-for-100-years.120028/page-7#post-1048128

The water usually runs down the screens (wire mesh) on the other screen cooled engines so would expect the same here, probably two rows of holes in the bottom of the tubes to spray water onto the screens either side.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:15:03 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »
You can see the high tec spray bar about 40 secs into the video on this screen cooled engine, also a shot of the pump a bit later

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYp_j42mgMU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYp_j42mgMU</a>

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 04:12:38 PM »
Hi Jason, thanks for the link  and specially for the sketch also.
That was exactly what I have had in my mind, but I could not find any pictures for confirmation.
This simple screen cooling is easy to find in many videos also the round type as you have build for one of your model engines.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 10:48:54 PM »
Achim,
The water is directed against the screens to either side of the pipes to slow the fall and create a larger wetted surface for evaporation.

To create an effective cooler on a much smaller scale I suspect you would have to use a slightly larger scale screen size due to the surface tension of water. Maybe also add a wetting agent to the water.
Jeff

Offline GeoffK

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
Hi Achim.

Sorry for the delay in replying - saw your posts last night but I am not very good at typing on my tablet. Thanks also for providing the links regarding valve seating.

Re the cooling tower that I made. It is  based on photos and IHC brochures of their offerings. I scaled it up to be in sync with the engine. I used a 5/8" thin wall brass pipe slit in half lengthways and soldered in place at the top of the cooler above the outlet pipe which is peppered with small holes on the lower side. The mesh screen goes over the shield and is bent in such a way as to let any water that flows over the screen to fall into the tank. The outlet from the tank is at the bottom and connects to a pump. I am not sure how the scaling effect will prevent the water from going through the mesh due to its surface tension. An experiment with some antifreeze is in order. What I may need is a liquid that behaves like beer - I may even be forced to use some but am not sure of the resulting smell when heated!

Jeff - now I see where Doug Kelly might have gotten his version of the tank for his model. Thanks for sharing.

Achim - re the preheater. I based it on the tractor engine's system. I haven't yet put in a diverter plate to allow the mixing of the exhaust hot air and ambient but the photo below shows it. On my engine I also used roller tappets as per the second photo.

Good luck with your build.

Geoff

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:39:53 PM by GeoffK »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:01 AM »
Achim,
The water is directed against the screens to either side of the pipes to slow the fall and create a larger wetted surface for evaporation.

To create an effective cooler on a much smaller scale I suspect you would have to use a slightly larger scale screen size due to the surface tension of water. Maybe also add a wetting agent to the water.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks.
Very good advice to consider the tension of the water here.
I am using normal automotive coolant in my engines so far, but I have no idea how it will behave ruining down a mesh.
So some experiment should be useful.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal