Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55483 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2022, 09:59:30 PM »
 Hi Roger , yes you are right and I am trying to work out what is actually going on with the crossheads ..? without taking everything apart !!! Here are some pics  I can still not get in there yet  so I am having to guess what is happening with the clues in the pics !!! :-\ :-\

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2022, 02:02:42 AM »
I have now drawn up the slide bars and have made a small perspex one to the correct 1/20 size . I have done this to work out how to make the correct ones out of brass as they will be painted . I will do this using a piece of brass bar this will be drilled, sawn and filed by hand so a length of the bar will be held firmly in the vice .... Also I have modified my old drilling machine to make it easier to drill metal with more accuracy. I have made a larger plate to hold the vices and have constructed a vertical bar that the plate butts up to. this enables a longer larger drill to be inserted in the chuck by swivelling the plate sideways and down. when the plate is swiveld back against the vertical bar it will be in perfect alignment...

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2022, 02:46:15 AM »
Like the perspex mock-up, great progress.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2022, 03:31:37 AM »
So starting on the brass standards for the slide bars .. When I drill pieces of metal in the vice I sometimes use nuts to rest the metal on with the boles in the correct place to drill all the way through. The standards are marked out and sawn and filed to shape and when finished they will be sawn off the stub.   I mark out the dimensions using the parent slab as a datum to continually check the finished dimensions with the digital vernier .

Willy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
I always particularly enjoy seeing and learning from your "saw and file" techniques, Willy. When I only had the tiny vertical slide for my Taig lathe I did a lot more of that than I do now, and there was satisfaction in it. A different set of "tricks" to learn.
Regards,
Ron

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »
Hi Chris and Ron..thanks for the comments and back in the workshop..... I have been really busy with editing the local magazine for the Organic Gardening Group ?!!!     yes , filing up these parts is made easier by using sharp files and using the shape and  type for producing the profiles.. the parts are still joined together and more profiling is done ..

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2022, 03:11:05 AM »
The standards are now ready to install with the guide bars that will be attached with 12/13 BA  nuts and bolts >>>

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2022, 03:18:04 AM »
Very nice, would be great jewelry too!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
Fine progress Willy  :ThumbsUp:

I can't remember what scale you are working to - but the parts looks to be rather small  :thinking:

Per

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2022, 02:59:01 AM »
 Hi All , so the scale is 1/20th so quite small. I have started on the guide bars and a simple job to saw and file and drill to shape. they are then mounted on the standard with multiple clamps and then the holes are drilled through using an archimedes drill.. these are very handy as they are hand held and will drill thromughmetal quite quickly ... the largest one has a dimple in the top so you can use your chin to hold it in place leaving both hands free..The bottom parts will be made next and then clamped in place and drilled through from above .The bolts are 12 BA  ...so quite a bit larger than 16 BA !!

Willy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2022, 12:42:49 PM »
1:20 - that explains why the minute details of the surface stands out so much in the photos - and it does make it more dificult for you to make some of the tiny parts.

I haven't seen an Arcimedes Drill before - but I can see the similariies to the "Amerikaner" (as my maternal Grandfather called them), that I have - the difference is that on those you push on the end and holde the middle still.

Good to see progress and you always throw in small things I haven't sen before :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2022, 02:59:00 AM »
 Hi Per, Yes the parts are quite small and it is quite difficult to hold the pieces when working on them.. I have made the bottom slide  bars and as they are steel it is easier to use a magnet when holding them and putting them in the vice ! I always carve out the parts from a larger slab of metal which helps a lot and when I drill the holes I remove some of the metal so the drill bit does not get trapped and break off. My larger vice has hardened steel serated jaws  , so when I have to finish filing and polishing I use this small vice . I also have one of those push action archemedies drills that is like those Stanley  Yankee push action screw drivers but a lot smaller. these big yankee screwdrivers also have a left and right action to withdraw screws as well. The slide bars now need a lot of fitting and tidying up ....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2022, 02:46:24 AM »
More work on the slide bars ..there are 4 bolts that affix it to the bed ...however these will be dummy and just one 10BA bolt each end holding it down ..still more to do on them but slowly getting there ...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2022, 03:21:12 AM »
So slowly getting the slidebars finished and  the con rod is next and then the crosshead ...once I have decided how it will all go together. I have bought lots of 12 BA nuts but everyone needs to be re tapped !! so quite time consuming >>>

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2022, 03:54:09 AM »
Lots of little details coming together, looking great.   :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal