Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55448 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »
Watching along Willy!  Hope they get your internet fixed soon.
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »
Hi ... so ..the other bearing block is made ....I have used 10BA bolts with one size smaller heads from EKP. they only make standard(metric) size nuts so I had to file them down ...I made a threaded rod to do this and when I came to filing them I used a triangular double sided file so I could file both flat at the same time by using each end of the file separately so the nut would not unscrew itself off the thread .................still no internet so I have changed my provider as the new..new.. modem Router did not work ??? the computer recognised the new router number and let me type in the relevant pass word   (via the internet ???). but would not let me log into the internet  ???????????????  confusing ..but it is TALK TALK ******************

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2021, 02:54:22 AM »
Ok so back to work  and I have my internet back after  18 days .........I have started on the crank webs , I have bolted two pieces of 1/4" plate together to drill .,ream and thenfile up two faces . The two parts were then sawn off the parent matierial and then two 1/4' pins were inserted to file the two parts together to the correct dimensions . I have also been drawing more of the parts . I have also been looking at my sets of castings and found this set for the Stuart Turner centrifugal pump !! I don't think they produce these anymore and I possibly won't be making it ?!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2021, 03:19:03 AM »
Great to have you back. That arched support looks like it will be interesting to make.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »
Hi Chris , thanks ,yes ..quite intricate and there are two of them so they will have to turn out exactly the same ..the other one has an extra part that supports the bevel gear coming up from the turbine ....

willy

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2021, 12:04:06 PM »
Excellent fabrication as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: There was some discussion on here about the Stuart centrifugal pumps a week or so ago.
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »
Hi Roger , yes that is what prompted me to dig them out !!  More work on the crank  and I have found that on the crank /piston rod bearings the hole for the oil is either at one side or the other ?? Is this a mistake or something to do with flywheel weights being at different places ??

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
The con rod ends look to be made from four pieces, those center two (one with the oil hole) maybe just got assembled backwards in on case?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2021, 01:29:13 AM »
Hi Chris ,yes a bit strange but this is what has happened over the 70 years of the life of the working machine  ?/ The crankshaft is now completed and the next job is the con rod bearing. this is quite a complicated shape to copy as it is a casting  so we shall see what happens ...posibly a built up fabrication rather than machining from the solid ?

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2021, 02:54:48 AM »
Excellent! Amazing how much different it looks with the first parts on.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2021, 01:37:40 PM »
The big end bearing is now started on .first the drawing, then figuring out how to make it .... the brasses are soldered together and then drilled and bolted together so when the two halves are bored out they don't fall apart !!. This is quite a complicated " casting " to make...The crank pin is the same diameter as the crankshaft so the brasses are just attached there for now. The whole assy is just bolted together with no adjustment provide ...just a single nut  ?!!

Willy

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2021, 07:26:08 PM »
Looks like you have been busy Willy  :ThumbsUp:

I must admit that I can't remember what scale you work to on this one, but it must be quite a bit as the parts don't look very big ....  :headscratch:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2021, 02:12:47 AM »
Hi  Dk  it is 1/20th scale and the crank shaft is 5/16th  or 3.125 " so this should give you some idea of the size...
The brasses are now finished with the correct profile and there is just the oil hole part to attach and then the steel Conrod and the outside keep plate ,...The brasses were made together and the two hollow rods are silver soldered in place.

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2021, 02:39:01 AM »
Nice progress on the bearing end.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2022, 09:23:50 PM »