Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55478 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2021, 03:50:55 AM »
Hi MJM and Chris  thanks  for the video and more info with the name ..and I will do further research soon !!..

Willy
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:38:44 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2021, 02:55:12 AM »
Hi All , more work on the engine and the gate gear flange has been worked out and it has two parts bolted together... so two slabs of brass are soft soldered together ready to machine together to get the bolt holes and shaft position aligned ...when machined the parts will be parted ( Etymology )??

Also the large force chamber / pulsation dampener are simply referred to by John Farey in 1827 Vol 1 as an   air vessel ???!! This is an etching from 1803

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2021, 01:22:22 AM »
I have now decided to make a perspex part to work out exactly the positions and dimensions for this quite difficult component

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2021, 01:52:53 AM »
Great way to do it - optically clear brass!

By the way - what is that many-armed protractor/center finder-thingy in the picture?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2021, 02:49:16 AM »
Hi Chris , this is my home made centre finder..the other arm is movable in and out and also revolves , it is used to mark out the width of spokes that could be taperd. it can also be used to scribe the line when chain drilling for the spokes. first it is used to mark the centre line and the first spoke line and then moved 180 degrees to mark out the other side of the spoke .. it has been both quick and useful and I have not seen another like it ??!!!! The protractor part is to get the correct angle ..but was made with shim brass instead of something more durable !!

Willy
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 02:56:37 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2021, 04:12:14 AM »
That is a wickedly clever piece of kit!
Regards,
Ron

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2021, 03:13:50 AM »
Hi Ron , Yes I did make this quite a few years ago and it has been very useful ...I havenowstarted on the brass fitting and need to now make up some filing buttons to get the profiles right ...I also need to make the gear properly however it only rotates about 1/4 of a turn ... The bottom part will be machined to fit the cap and the other part is bolted in place with 9BA bolts

Also an English and American small ratchet devices for difficult to get at parts

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2021, 03:48:44 AM »
Haven't seen that kind of ratchet screwdriver in many years, parents had a similar one. Are you going to file out the gear teeth? Even for just a few thats impressive. The filing buttons will be key for that.

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2021, 03:41:30 AM »
Hi Chris , yes I got these from a car boot sale !!! The drives are pozidrives rather than square though    So more work on the top cap component by making the filing buttons and turning down the top cap. Have started to remove metal by sawing and filing , keeping the file dead square so as to keep the circular profile

Willy

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: it's a fascinating machine  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2021, 01:48:38 AM »
Hi Roger thanks and this is something completely new for me !!
more filing using the filling buttons..so getting there !....Also sometimes I try and post  posts but if the internet is poor it does not go through and I lose all the text that I have written ??!! so is there a way of saving texts on the computer whilst waiting for the portal to open ??

Thanks
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2021, 02:00:07 AM »
Before I hit the 'post' button on a long post, I usually select all in the text window and right click to 'copy' it. That way if something bad happens on the post, I can either just paste it back into the window and try again, or paste it into a Word or Notepad app and save it that way.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2021, 02:25:09 AM »
I usually write my entire post in a word processor (I use OpenOffice), including pasting in the image links. When satisfied, I save a copy, then copy&paste the whole shebang into the forum's editor, do a Preview to make sure the pictures are right and a final proofread, and if satisfied with that, then hit Post. That's for the long, build log type posts; for replies like this I just bang away in the editor.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2021, 05:26:33 AM »
I do what Ron does, but happen to use Word for typing up my posts.

For replies, if they get very long I copy them into Notepad after I've typed them.   I find that periodically my posts are denied (I get some kind of 403 error or something) and I have to clear my cache and re-open my browser.  Then I can post.  And when this happens, I'm HAPPY that I saved my post in Notepad.  (Alternately, I'm peeved that I didn't take the time to save it in Notepad!)

Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »
Hi Willy, you are certainly demonstrating your skilled eye and hand with a file on that part.  It’s great watching it appear out of a few little pieces and come together in the final form.

I am another who types long posts in a word processor, in my case, Pages on an iPad.  I just let them build up in one document until I decide too many pages and start a new file with a sequential number in the name.  It avoids having too many difficult to find separate documents.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal