Author Topic: New Mills Pumping Station  (Read 55474 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: New Mills Pumping Station
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2021, 02:29:32 AM »
Hi All, thanks for all the comments and  I have now attached the gear to the gate rim ..I had to use two pieces together to get the depth.. When I silver soldered them together I used a centre punch on the faces to create room for the solder to penetrate  fully .
it is larger than the prototype  as I do not haven gear cutting equipment ..so used what I could find ...it will all be hidden so no one will see it ??!  I will also have to use some JD Weld to fill some of the gaps .

Willy

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 05:20:17 AM »
It may not be exactly to scale but it looks really good and gets the point across! :) :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »
The gate is now prepared by milling the slots with a 5/16th slot mill and then sawn out and filed to rectangular shaped openings. The piecing saw is quite old and made in Germany  the different parts are stamped  '77' ? and these may be hand made and numbered to keep the parts together ??

Willy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
Great looking work, Willy! That saw is certainly a fitting tool to do that kind of work with. I love that hand made wing nut!
Regards,
Ron

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2021, 01:51:31 AM »
Hi Ron ,   yes I do like old tools and the local car boots are full of interesting finds ...including this inside centre finder ?!!  .so ,,all the slots are cut out and the lower flume and skirt plate is started on ... This is now starting to come together and becoming interesting and even fun ?!!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2021, 03:02:12 AM »
The turbine mounting plate is now chain drilled and filed to shape and fitted to the flume ring ...next job is the lower skirt and bottom bearing support . on the prototype the lower bearing was a big chunk of Lignum Vitae...as this was always immersed in water !!!

Willy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:08:55 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 03:11:36 AM »
Great work!

And I will have my shop elves guarding my old Lignum Vitae deadeyes to make sure your elves don't try to carve them up for bearings!   :Lol:   

Don't think I have seen that wood in the shops, though ebony is close and available, bet you have some of that in your instrument wood stockpile...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2021, 12:17:37 AM »
Hi Chris , thanks and yes I do have copious quantities of ebony , buxus sempervirons, juglans negra, Quercus robugh etc etc ...so more work the turbine parts ... the top flume plate is cut out of brass by chain drilling and sawing etc ..

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2021, 02:39:17 AM »
The top flume plate is made and the flume blades now need to be fitted ...

Wily

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2021, 03:41:46 AM »
So ..now been trying out how the flume blades will be made and slotted into the main frame ...

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2021, 03:55:50 AM »
Does the gear segment move the flume blades to open and close the openings, or is there another gate to shut off the flow? Very interesting machine!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2021, 04:12:15 AM »
Hi Chris, the outside flume blades are fixed and the gate is the part that is inbetween them and the rotating turbine blades . the gate is the part that has the 4 spokes and they only move the width of the slots .. So  4am and am off to bed !!!..more work tomorrow ..G-night....!!

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:32 AM »
The flumes have now been made and they now need to be soldered into the support plates,,,however holding them all in the correct alignment to slot the plates together will be quite fiddly..about like assembling watches and clocks  together ??!!! I may need a few people to help with this ....

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2021, 03:15:40 AM »
Looks like a good time to put in some small brass screws to hold things for soldering, easy to file off flush.

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2021, 03:14:12 AM »
Hi Chris , I managed to  get all the flumes in place eventually and bolted the two plates in place and soft soldered everything together.. so everything going to plan ... the next job is the bottom skirt and lower bearing.

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal